starting strength gym

Thread: Advice needed on training program

Post Advice needed on training program

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    G'day mark, I'm 21 years old 5ft11" 22% body fat and have been doing weights on and off at the home gym for a couple of years but really did not know nothing at all about diet or training techniques so got very limited results.
    I have been going to a gym now for 10 months with the goal of adding muscle and dropping the bodyfat (although ive heard you cant really do both at the same time) my main motivation is to look good at the beach with a muscular athletic frame (towards the fitness model look).
    In the 10 months I have gone from weighing around 88.2kg's (194lbs) to around 91kgs (200lbs) and have dropped a little bit of bodyfat but still no where near enough, i still have a fair around of fat around my waist, chest and buttocks.

The workouts:
    I usually am going to the gym 5 days a week for around 2-2.5 hours a night
    the different days are
    Day 1 chest:
    incline dumbell press 1 set of 10 warm up 50lbs then 3 sets 65-75lbs (each dumbell for all dumbell weights) depending on how im going
    flat dumbell press 3 sets of 10 55lbs
    decline machine press 3 sets of 8 175lbs
    dumbell flyes 3 sets of 10 45lbs
    cable crossover 4 sets of 45lbs each cable

Day 2 biceps/triceps:
    Preacher close grip EZ bar curl 1 set of 10 warmup 45lbs followed by 3 sets of 8 55lbs
    One arm standing dumbell preacher: 3 sets of 8 35lbs
    Incline dumbell curl: 3 sets of 8-10 45lbs then sometimes drop set right down to 15lbs
    21's: 3 sets 45lbs
    tricep cable pushdown: 2 warm up sets around 100lbs then 3 sets of 8 130lbs
    3 sets of superset 10 tricep dips followed by 8 reps dip machine 110lbs
    rope cable pushdown and flair out at bottom: 3 sets of 110lbs then drop set all the way down to 10lbs

Day 3 legs:
    Squats on smith machine: 2 warm up followed by 4 sets of 8 110lbs
    3 Supersets of standing calf raise machine 10 reps 200lbs followed by 8 reps seated calf raise 110lbs
    leg extensions 3 sets of 8 reps 65 85 110lbs
    lying leg curls 4 sets of 8 45lbs

Day 4 shoulders:
    seated dumbell shoulder press 2 warm up sets 45lbs and then 3 sets of 10 55lbs
    laying incline front barbell raise: 3 sets of 10 45lbs 1 set 40lbs
    seated bent over side lateral raises 3 sets of 10, 15lbs
    standing lateral raises 3 sets of 10, 15lbs
    shrugs using machine 3 sets of 8 220lbs

Day 5 back and lats
    Lat pulldown 1 warm up set then 3 sets of 10, 85, 100, 110lbs
    straight arm lat cable pulldown: 3 sets 110lbs then drop set down to 35lbs
    bent over smith machine row: 3 sets 55lbs then drop set down to 20lbs
    Seated cable rows: 3 sets of 8 85, 110, 135lbs
    one arm dumbell row: 3 sets of 10 45lbs
    deadlift: 3 sets of 10 150lbs

With every workout i have also done either abs or 10 minutes high intensity cardio

is the 5 day split the way to stay for me now i have been lifting at home for a couple of years and now solid gym work for 10 months this year. I was a bit worried that some of the 2 day splits would not work me enough and wouldnt tear enough fibers and even make me feel it the next day. some expert advice from you would be very much appreciated and steer me on to what will be very beneficial to me

Maybe you should read my books.

Underfoot,

Welcome to Strengthmill. Since you're new to the forum there are a few things that you might want to know.

Mark's forum is designed for people to ask questions on programming, technique, injury prevention, etc. There are a few prerequisites to asking questions which include: a thorough reading of Starting Strength and/or Practical Programming (not the wiki or some variation from the web), actively training in the methods described in those books, and searching the forum for previous posts which most often answer any and all questions.

I hope you stick around, read the books, and change your training for the better. I think if you do you'll find yourself at a whole new level. Don't take anyone's comments too harshly. Your current training program is full of less-than-beneficial exercises and you will get a lot more out of Starting Strength. Buy the books, get started, and good luck.

You need to read SS and you need to do it now.