starting strength gym

Thread: Dropping volume in deficit

Default Dropping volume in deficit

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Andy,

Reminder... age 57 in 750-1,000 daily deficit. Lyle McDonald has written that while losing fat it's better - or even necessary to cut volume and keep intensity (weight on the bar) as high as possible. I've gone back to a basic SS 3x5 program while in deficit.

What do you think about dropping heavy work sets from 3 to 2 (maybe allowing a little more weight) to cut volume without cutting intensity? Maybe a lighter back-off 3rd set?

Thanks.

I'd probably aim for one top set of 5 and then a back off set at about a 5% reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I'd probably aim for one top set of 5 and then a back off set at about a 5% reduction.
    Thanks. Would you meaningfully ramp up to the top set or just a standard warm up to it? This looks like 2 work sets (the 2nd one slightly lighter) plus whatever you do getting to the top set.

Standard warm up: few light sets of 5 with the bar and the first loaded weight, then triples/doubles, and last warm up set or two should be singles only.

Andy, that was good advice. I didn't cut the second set by 5 percent but just doing 2 sets instead of the third made a big difference for me the next day. The question is whether two sets are enough of a dose to keep me holding steady Strength-wise until I can eat more.

starting strength coach development program
    Only time will tell