Default A few questions about barbell shrugs

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Mark,

Context:
    25 years old
    245 lbs
    Intermediate lifter

I have a few quick questions about the barbell shrug, as shown in your platform video.

1. Considering the critical role of the traps in the overhead press, is it plausible to consider the barbell shrug an assistance exercise in the overhead press? Do you think the carryover would be worthwhile, if using the shrugs for this purpose?

2. In your book, you are clear in saying that novices unadapted to heavy weights have no reason to be doing the barbell shrug. I've seen in other posts that you prefer folks to have moved into more advanced programming before attempting shrugs. I haven't found mention of intermediate lifters though. Do you believe an intermediate lifter is in danger of injury using this exercise?

3. I will be doing these in a power rack (bought from Johnny Brown, I am pleased) with a B&R bar. If I sit the bar down gently enough, is it in any danger of being bent? Or do you prefer to use already-bent bars for this lift?

4. Is 1x/week an acceptable frequency for this exercise?

Thanks for your time.

1. It is, for intermediate and advanced lifters.

2. I have seen a C7 spinous press avulsed during this exercise by an early intermediate lifter who was prematurely strong with chemistry. I'd wait, if I were you, until my deadlift was over 500.

3. Depends on how much money you have. You'll be pissed if you bend that bar.

4. I always recommend 1x/2 weeks. Once a week is a bit much, refer to the intermediate chapter in PPST3.