starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tearing Pain in outer quad

Default Tearing Pain in outer quad

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I have been doing 3x5 lately on squats, and I did 295 lbs for 3x5 on Tuesday just fine. However, yesterday (Friday), I had a tearing pain in my outer quad...right leg while parallel to below while doing 300 lbs. It happened on set one, and I stopped at 4 because of it. It happened on set two as well, and I stopped at 3. I did not do set 3. I could have completed my sets to 5 if it wasn't for the pain. My form is correct...low bar squats, and pushing legs out on the way down, and keeping them that way throughout. I go just below parallel. The pain ONLY hurts while I am doing the squats, no other time. Also, it only happened this Friday...yesterday. It doesn't hurt at all while not doing heavy squats.

I really hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Brad

Sounds like an IT Band issue. Google that and see if it fits your symptoms. Lots of forum posts about that I would assume as well.

Just to add, I had a similar feeling when I strained my IT band from not keeping my knees out in the squat. Does that sound familiar?

Thank you Sam. I think that may be the issue. I consciously make sure my knees are flared out on the way down and up through the squat. I think I should not do 2 heavy squats per week, as I think that I wasn't fully recouped from the Tuesday workout of 295 x 5 x 3. I work two 16 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday, which means my sleep is nothing impressive during the weekend, and i'm working with 2 herniated discs that give me hell from 16 years ago. I'm 39 now. So, the traditional 3x week doesn't work well for me. I am thinking about just going light on Fridays and stay heavy on Tuesdays.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by methos0123 View Post
    Thank you Sam. I think that may be the issue. I consciously make sure my knees are flared out on the way down and up through the squat. I think I should not do 2 heavy squats per week, as I think that I wasn't fully recouped from the Tuesday workout of 295 x 5 x 3. I work two 16 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday, which means my sleep is nothing impressive during the weekend, and i'm working with 2 herniated discs that give me hell from 16 years ago. I'm 39 now. So, the traditional 3x week doesn't work well for me. I am thinking about just going light on Fridays and stay heavy on Tuesdays.

Thanks for your help!
    Of course! I'm more than happy to help (whether my assessment is correct or not!). It sounds like you are pretty much out of your LP for the most part. With your back issues, I have known people to "baby" their back at the bottom of the squat by fighting to keep their back vertical, thus forcing their legs/knees to do the worst sort of things. Be sure to move to a weight where you can get the all benefits of the full squat. This is may not be an issue for you, but it seems to be a common one and I thought I would throw it at ya. Just out of curiosity, how are your other lifts? Weight? Height? How is your eating?

I am no programming expert, and at your stage (same for me when I hit the end of LP) it is hard to know how to progress as it depends greatly on the persons situation. Andy Baker's programming forum is AMAZING to help people like us stay on the right track. I would go post a short question over there and have him give you his two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam McLeod View Post
    Of course! I'm more than happy to help (whether my assessment is correct or not!). It sounds like you are pretty much out of your LP for the most part. With your back issues, I have known people to "baby" their back at the bottom of the squat by fighting to keep their back vertical, thus forcing their legs/knees to do the worst sort of things. Be sure to move to a weight where you can get the all benefits of the full squat. This is may not be an issue for you, but it seems to be a common one and I thought I would throw it at ya. Just out of curiosity, how are your other lifts? Weight? Height? How is your eating?

I am no programming expert, and at your stage (same for me when I hit the end of LP) it is hard to know how to progress as it depends greatly on the persons situation. Andy Baker's programming forum is AMAZING to help people like us stay on the right track. I would go post a short question over there and have him give you his two cents.
    I don't think my form or weight is an issue here because I have a mirror in front of me, and I watch for my depth on every rep. I am at or just below parallel on top of thighs to floor. I have been working out for 3 solid years with good form. at least 4 years before that with bad/ok form. However, I was a fat boy in high school and suffered there for it, and it has transferred to my adult life leaving me forever under eating and probably over training in some periods of that time. I weigh at present 220 lbs. at 5'11.3/8". I have recently started drinking 1/2 - 3/4 gallon of whole milk daily (just started this last week). I think I have put on 5 lbs. in the last week, and I feel great about it. I love the milk, and how it makes me feel after drinking it...immediate satiation of body and mind. I know i'm making it sound fantastical, but it really is along those lines. I was for a long time drinking only skim milk...lol. I probably averaged around 2500 calories for the first several years of training, and probably allowed myself to go up to around no more than 3000 the last couple years or so. I now have been eating 4000 cal's at a minimum since I have been drinking whole milk. I get 200-250 grams of protein a day. I'll check out Andy's forum. I know it's been absolutely fantastic being able to see Rip talk on the podcasts because it's a whole different thing seeing him explain things vs just reading his books.

Thanks,

Brad

So for an update, I was able to get the 3x5 at 300 with no pain in my quad the following Tuesday. So, it didn't last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by methos0123 View Post
    So for an update, I was able to get the 3x5 at 300 with no pain in my quad the following Tuesday. So, it didn't last very long.
    That is exactly what happened with me and I haven't had an issue with it for a few months now.

Is the pain only/mainly when you're at the bottom of the squat? I've had something similar during deadlift setup.

I think mine is meralgia paresthetica which is when a specific nerve gets smashed under a ligament causing sensations in the outer thigh. I thought I tore a quad as well except I was asymptomatic otherwise. I'm currently working on getting less fat to see if that offers some relief. But I ignore in now when I feel it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinic View Post
    Is the pain only/mainly when you're at the bottom of the squat? I've had something similar during deadlift setup.

I think mine is meralgia paresthetica which is when a specific nerve gets smashed under a ligament causing sensations in the outer thigh. I thought I tore a quad as well except I was asymptomatic otherwise. I'm currently working on getting less fat to see if that offers some relief. But I ignore in now when I feel it.
    These questions are well beyond my area of expertise, you might be best off throwing this down into Jordan's injury thread?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast