starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Belt Question - Which of these UK Belts?

Default Another Belt Question - Which of these UK Belts?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,
    I know there's other belt threads here but I'm specifically interested in getting a belt in the UK and not paying large shipping fees to have a US belt sent over (plus waiting time, of course).

I have a preference for 'easy release' or 'lever' belts. I've used/borrowed good quality 'buckle' belts in the past and frequently need help to tighten them - and get out of them. So an easy release or lever makes sense since I work out alone most of the time.

I've found 3 places where I could get a 'decent' belt in the UK:

1. StrengthShop Belts
    So, does anyone have any experience of the strengthshop belts? https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/belts.html

For example:

StrengthShop Lever Belt
    Here: https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/belts...ever-belt.html
    Their belts are IPF approved - although I'm not sure if this is a quality approval or simply related to size specifications.
    What are the pros and cons of 10mm vs 13mm?
    They are 'artificial leather' but seem to have some good reviews (no bad ones so maybe the reviews are filtered.)
    At £52.99 they're not a bad price.

2. ZuluGlove Belts
    Here: http://www.zuluglove.com
    I've tried one of the Evolution style belts by Zuluglove and loved it. I like the easy release mechanism and the 'shark tail' on the end of the belt made it much easier to get a grip on the belt to pull it tight - I'm surprised other belt makers don't do something similar.

Evolution III - Unfortunately it is unavailable
    http://www.zuluglove.com/sold-out--p...royal-39-p.asp
    And a great price at £49.99
    Has anyone bought one of these recently?

Although I'd settle for the
    Evolution II - Unfortunately it is unavailable
    http://www.zuluglove.com/powerliftin...-blue-27-p.asp

Problem is that their site has been 'sold out' of those models for the last year or so and they seem to be focused on their new lever mechanism

Detonator
    http://www.zuluglove.com/new--powerl...t--xl-54-p.asp
    £67.99
    Does anyone have any experience of this 'detonator' style belt and new lever mechanism, the lever looks a bit 'clunky'.

3. Pullum Sports Belts
    Here: http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/belts...ts/cat_15.html

These guys seem to stock Titan belts, which are much more expensive than the others.

The Titan Longhorn Lever Belt:
    http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/belts.../prod_799.html
    Only one photo so difficult to discern but seem to have a good reputation, are IPF approved.
    But £105 - double the price of the others, are they double the quality?

Probably my preferred Titan belt is -

Titan Longhorn Quick Release Belt:
    http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/belts...prod_1009.html
    As above and £99 - still double the price of the others. 2x quality?
    - Although this one looks like it's out of stock now

Titan - Toro Bravo Lever Belt
    http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/belts.../prod_783.html
    Although I don't like the logo(!) and if I was going to spend £80 for this, I may as well pay the extra £20 for one of the other Titan belts, as I assume this one is cheaper for a reason.

Pullum also has an Eleiko belt but at £285 I wouldn't consider it:
    http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/belts.../prod_962.html

That's all I've found in the UK.

Does anyone have any experience of any of these belts and suppliers?
    Which would you pick?

I'd prefer cheaper but don't mind paying for quality - I just don't want to pay the shipping and import cost of US belts, and wait ages for one.

Thanks
    Last edited by Magma; 04-28-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Lever belts work fine, though they are a pain to adjust. "Quick release" style belts tend to wear poorly and I can't imagine they're easy to get tight. If you have trouble getting a buckle belt on, breath out and suck your gut in. Also, use a rack to help pull the belt tighter.

Titan makes a nice product, so does Eleiko (though add +$100 for the name alone). Not sure about the rest.

From that list, get a Titan belt.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Lever belts work fine, though they are a pain to adjust. "Quick release" style belts tend to wear poorly and I can't imagine they're easy to get tight. If you have trouble getting a buckle belt on, breath out and suck your gut in. Also, use a rack to help pull the belt tighter.
    I've spent too much time 'stuck' in a tight belt after an exhausting set of squats or deadlifts. By 'stuck' I mean gasping and brain-fogged from the effort and unable to get a good grip of the belt because I'm breathing too heavy and arms/fingers have gone temporarily weak as well as wet from sweat. The first thing I want to do after heavy sets is get the belt off - I've tried a small range of buckled belts and ad the same problem with all - except the cheap thin one I got for £30 although even that one can evade me at times.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Titan makes a nice product, so does Eleiko (though add +$100 for the name alone). Not sure about the rest.
    Any idea why Eleiko are so substantially more expensive? Especially since everyone (a lot of people, at least) seems to think Inzer are best quality!
    As for Titan, at double the price of the other belts, I'm curious what the added value is - or if I'd just be paying for a brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    From that list, get a Titan belt.
    Why, specifically?
    And why not the others?

Thanks for your posts, guys.

My brother, brother in law and I all have Zulu Glove Defcon Evo 2 belts. I have been using mine for over three years. It is brilliant. I have tried other belts at gyms and based on my experience I would not buy anything else.

I know zulu glove are releasing a new quick release (non-lever) belt this summer. Wait if you can.
    Last edited by ya5een; 04-28-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Recently bought a 13mm lever strengthshop belt but sold it soon after. Brutally stiff, even after spending a week scrunching it up and beating the hell out of it. It didn't even flop around, it was just like a solid ring of artificial leather. Was actually harder to get cinched than my quick release belt, maybe I just wasn't very good at using the lever.

I really like my 10mm Zuluglove dominator. Can get it incredibly tight in an instant and it comes off just as easily. Only problem (apart from not being IPF approved) is that the holes do stretch quite a bit, but maybe that won't be as big a problem with the Evolution since it has two prongs. If you're not worried about IPF approval, zuluglove belts are awesome.

I want an IPF approved quick release and looked at the titan as well. Thinking of getting a prime cut best belt when they're taking more orders though, even with shipping and what not it'll probably be the same cost as buying a titan belt in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by ya5een View Post
    My brother, brother in law and I all have Zulu Glove Defcon Evo 2 belts. I have been using mine for over three years. It is brilliant. I have tried other belts at gyms and based on my experience I would not buy anything else.

I know zulu glove are releasing a new quick release (non-lever) belt this summer. Wait if you can.
    Hi - yes, I was impressed with ZuluGlove too. I wrote to them about their out of stock items and they told me the same: there is a new model coming out in the summer.
    Unfortunately, I need something now as I'm just 5kg under my PB Deadlift and still don't have a belt (accidentally left my cheap one behind when I recently moved).

Any views on their lever belt - the Detonator? I'm tempted, because the price is good and their belts are good quality, but I can't find any reviews and I'm not sure about that lever. (Or levers in general, actually, I'd prefer a quick release.)

Quote Originally Posted by JB47 View Post
    Recently bought a 13mm lever strengthshop belt but sold it soon after. Brutally stiff, even after spending a week scrunching it up and beating the hell out of it. It didn't even flop around, it was just like a solid ring of artificial leather. Was actually harder to get cinched than my quick release belt, maybe I just wasn't very good at using the lever.
    Interesting, thanks. I was looking at the 10mm SS belts as I guessed they'd be stiff, but it sounds like that might just be an issue with the material/manufacturing methods they are using.

I really like my 10mm Zuluglove dominator. Can get it incredibly tight in an instant and it comes off just as easily. Only problem (apart from not being IPF approved) is that the holes do stretch quite a bit, but maybe that won't be as big a problem with the Evolution since it has two prongs. If you're not worried about IPF approval, zuluglove belts are awesome.
    Yes, but Dominators are out of stock. Only the Detonators are on sale just now - do you have any experience with them?

I want an IPF approved quick release and looked at the titan as well. Thinking of getting a prime cut best belt when they're taking more orders though, even with shipping and what not it'll probably be the same cost as buying a titan belt in the UK.
    Good point. I agree, the Titan looks pricey. If I was going to spend that much I'd be tempted to pay a little extra (or roughly the same) for a belt to be sent over from the US. But I don't have the time right now, and don't want/need to spend that much money.

I have one of the zuluglove belts with the single prong T shaped quick release buckle (bought from a member on here). It has done the job well once i figured out how tight it should actually be. However the T shaped buckle protrudes quite some way so I have to wear it round my side to stop it digging in my leg. I also cannot deadlift in it.

Genuinely I'd love a UK supplier of simple old fashioned single prong belts in 4" and 3" widths @ 8/9/10mm thickness. I'm watching the other belt thread with interest as the leathercraft guy reckons the 6.5mm gives the same strength as the 10mm with suede facing.

starting strength coach development program
    I've got the ZuluGlove Evolution III

Good belt, I used a velcro before this and this definitely feels sturdier. I haven't had any experiences with other leather/suede belts so can't compare to those... But I like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast