starting strength gym

Thread: First training session today / question about off days

Question First training session today / question about off days

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello all. I spent the weekend reading SS and watching videos on the method and the lifts. I did my first training session today with these worksets:

Squat 135 x 5 x 3
    Press 95 x 5 x 2 (Couldn't do the third set)
    Deadlift 195 x 5

I'm really looking forward to coming back to this post in a few months to see those numbers have soared!

My question to those who have gone before: I enjoy running every morning. Typically, I do a 5k every weekday with somewhere between 5m-13.1m on Saturday. I enjoy the discipline of waking up early, getting the blood pumping, learning something while I listen to an audio book or podcast (Barbell Logic!). I've worked hard over the last few months to establish this habit. I am wondering - what can I do on T, Th, and Sat that won't ruin my program? I've seen the instructions to not run but even this morning I warmed up with 2.2 miles first. I know I will feel lazy if I don't get up and get in the gym in the morning and I know I'll be bored if I get up but don't spend my first 45 - 60 minutes there. What can I do?

I'm 37 years old at 185 lbs. Over the last 12 months I've gone down from 220 to 175 via exercise and reducing calories and increasing protein. I'm now up to 3,000 calories a day to load back up. Got to admit I'm nervous to give up this weight after I've worked so hard to get it down.

Anyways - I'm very glad to be joining this community and thankful to those of you who contribute so much to making it great and helping newbies like me.

JC

Hi Jason,

In an absolutely ideal world, you'd do no extra exercising outside of the barbell training during your LP. Running is not "active recovery." Running is a stressor. If you adding additional stress to the lifts, you're no longer running the optimal program.

If I were you, I would cut out the running while doing your LP. If you'd like to do a Saturday morning run during your LP, I think that'd be okay. You will be sacrificing some level of progress when/if you run.

Get strong first, then running will be much easier. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jasoncobb View Post
    Hello all. I spent the weekend reading SS and watching videos on the method and the lifts. I did my first training session today with these worksets:

Squat 135 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 195 x 5

I'm really looking forward to coming back to this post in a few months to see those numbers have soared!

My question to those who have gone before: I enjoy running every morning. Typically, I do a 5k every weekday with somewhere between 5m-13.1m on Saturday. I enjoy the discipline of waking up early, getting the blood pumping, learning something while I listen to an audio book or podcast (Barbell Logic!). I've worked hard over the last few months to establish this habit. I am wondering - what can I do on T, Th, and Sat that won't ruin my program? I've seen the instructions to not run but even this morning I warmed up with 2.2 miles first. I know I will feel lazy if I don't get up and get in the gym in the morning and I know I'll be bored if I get up but don't spend my first 45 - 60 minutes there. What can I do?

I'm 37 years old at 185 lbs. Over the last 12 months I've gone down from 220 to 175 via exercise and reducing calories and increasing protein. I'm now up to 3,000 calories a day to load back up. Got to admit I'm nervous to give up this weight after I've worked so hard to get it down.

Anyways - I'm very glad to be joining this community and thankful to those of you who contribute so much to making it great and helping newbies like me.

JC
    I wouldn't do anything more than a brisk walk on off days. Novice LP only lasts 12-16 weeks. Recovery resources are finite.

Quote Originally Posted by jasoncobb View Post
    Squat 135 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 195 x 5
    Why the missed set on press?

1.) Stop running for a while, your strength will thank you.

2.) If you missed a set on the press on Day 1, you didn't start your LP right...

Do yourself a favor and watch this. It's a review of the available research on the way endurance and strength training affect each other.

My sloppy synopsis and order of preference for best results:

1-Don't run at all during the SSLP.
    2-Only run on Saturdays.
    3-Only run on off days.
    4-Space running and lifting on the same days as far apart as possible.

Good morning,

I misjudged what I was capable of as I was warming up.

Thought that post would be inline...

Anyways, I missed the last set on press because I simply misjudged what I was capable of. Basically, I set the number ahead of time and calculated the warm up sets rather than building up. I just messed that up.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll watch the video today.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 42 and was about 188 when I started SSLP End of October. I too was doing almost daily jog/run/incline walk for around 45-60 min average a day before I started learning about the SS program.

I followed the program, started to see strength gains as well as body weight gains. Stopped pretty much all cardio, maybe had a couple brisk walks, but that was just about it. I shot up to 213 at one point, but I tapered back on my calories slightly and now have been hovering around 207-209, but I am still making LP progress. I checked body fat % today and reads around 15-16%.

Like others have said, skip cardio for awhile while on LP. Eat a lot and get as much sleep as you can.

Good luck!