starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art of Manliness: Weightlifting shoes

Default The Art of Manliness: Weightlifting shoes

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytCL3rm3Xg

As usual, the YouTube comments are amazing gems of wisdom.

Your reaction at the end is hilarious. What did he say prior to that though? Something about paleo barefoot stuff?

One question though. I used to deadlift in my lifting shoes and I definitely preferred the feeling (stability etc.) so even though I knew it increases my distance to the floor I kept on using them. But as I realized I have short arms (I'm pulling the bar way into my balls) and therefore have trouble setting my back in extension during the setup, I started to deadlift without them. Basically just in socks.

You say that you're not supposed to lift barefooted as it might be damaging to the foot. Does that refer more to the explosive lifts where there's the factor of shock during the landing or to a slow lift like the deadlift as well? Am I safe deadlifting barefoot or should I rather get something likes cons or even stick to the lifting shoes despite my t-rex appendages and trouble getting my back into extension?

So why do our feet need support for lifting barbells but not in cavemen times?

I'm not trolling, and yeah I'm a vegetarian

Quote Originally Posted by deeprooted View Post
    Does that refer more to the explosive lifts where there's the factor of shock during the landing or to a slow lift like the deadlift as well? Am I safe deadlifting barefoot or should I rather get something likes cons or even stick to the lifting shoes despite my t-rex appendages and trouble getting my back into extension?
    I guess if you're only pulling 315, you're safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Because we didn't lift barbells in caveman times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

As usual, the YouTube comments are amazing gems of wisdom.
    The internet is a profoundly stupid place, and youtube still manages to be 5-6x dumber than the internet standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I guess if you're only pulling 315, you're safe.
    You're not far off. I was lifting 375 yesterday. But I'm so small boned (why the hell didn't I discover SS and eating in my youth?) that even though I got from 135 to 202lb at 5'11 and I'm not as big as I would like to be, I still manage to have my thighs rubbing together in a way that people even notice it in my walk. Even my arms are standing off to the sides like I'm having a huuuge back. Which I kinda don't. Narrow shoulder joints and hip bones I guess...

So getting from 150 on the deadlift (after doing stupid shit for 2 years at the gym) to the 375 was quite a long journey for me. This and the fact that my intermediate progress has slowed down so that I have to cycle my IDs and/or use 1kg jumps despite still gaining weight (and certainly some fat god damnit), I'd say my days of fast progress are pretty much behind me.

In that case do you think I'll be fine deadlifting in socks or should I go for an alternative solution? Keeping in mind my smallish ankles/joints even though I'm not lifting terribly heavy weights... and that my t-rex arms make it kinda hard to reach the bar with lifting shoes on.

If you deadlift barefoot, don't the muscles that keep the arch in the foot from collapsing get stronger? Assuming this is true, do you think that these muscles simply can't get strong enough for a very heavy deadlift, and thus need support from the shoe?

I have been enjoying the Art of Manliness video series, as well as the rest of the media bumps. Helluva profile you've developed recently.

I hope that it means both that a pile more people are starting to lift properly, and that book sales and seminar registrations are going through the roof. It's not always that a great "product" even eventually finds a market niche. Kudos, yet again

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post

I'm not trolling, and yeah I'm a vegetarian
    They're not "needed" in the same way that a refrigerator and stove are not "needed" to store or cook food. They're technological advancements that are so useful and readily accessible that not using them is kind of silly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by deeprooted View Post
    In that case do you think I'll be fine deadlifting in socks or should I go for an alternative solution?
    Maybe you should try a pair of proper weightlifting shoes. I recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by unruhschuh View Post
    If you deadlift barefoot, don't the muscles that keep the arch in the foot from collapsing get stronger? Assuming this is true, do you think that these muscles simply can't get strong enough for a very heavy deadlift, and thus need support from the shoe?
    You seem to believe that these muscles relax in a weightlifting shoe. Have you read my article about the belt?

http://www.t-nation.com/training/the...d-the-deadlift

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast