starting strength gym
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This is sad: 400 lb deadlift = "insane" strength

Default This is sad: 400 lb deadlift = "insane" strength

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Golden State Warrior basketball player Stephen Curry (6' 3" and 185#) can trap bar deadlift 400#, proving that he is "ridiculous strong", according to the CBS Sports article linked below. They state that he is the 2nd strongest deadlifter on the team, behind a 270# 7' tall guy. I don't actually have a question, it's just an interesting (an incredibly sad) reflection of the current state of S&C at the college level that continues to validate your opinions on the topic.

This might be my favorite quote:
    "We knew he was strong," [the director of athletic performance] says, "but when he started pushing that kind of weight, I was like 'This guy is just a freak.'"

Stephen Curry can deadlift 400 pounds

This is a sickening piece of pop journalism. A jism-sicle of the first order. I hope this individual is embarrassed, for himself, his team, his family, his fans, and his gender.

It didn't help him make many shots tonight--maybe if he could pull 500...

"He's probably 10 times stronger than what people think," Lyles says.

Exhibit A: Curry can deadlift 400 pounds.
    So most people think he can only deadlift 40 pounds???

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Golden State Warrior basketball player Stephen Curry (6' 3" and 185#) can trap bar deadlift 400#, proving that he is "ridiculous strong", according to the CBS Sports article linked below. They state that he is the 2nd strongest deadlifter on the team, behind a 270# 7' tall guy. I don't actually have a question, it's just an interesting (an incredibly sad) reflection of the current state of S&C at the college level that continues to validate your opinions on the topic.

This might be my favorite quote:
    "We knew he was strong," [the director of athletic performance] says, "but when he started pushing that kind of weight, I was like 'This guy is just a freak.'"

Stephen Curry can deadlift 400 pounds
    This confirms something I've thought for a while: You don't have to be strong to be good at basketball. I was pretty good in high school and never touched a weight, for no reason other than laziness. Knowing what I know now, I think I could have been great if I'd have been stronger.

OK, moving on so as not to be "that guy" who re-lives high school athletic glory(?).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    pop journalism.
    Is there really any other kind?

I like how the "director of athletic performance" is genuinely surprised that the guy can do this. This implies that it just happened without anyone planning it (like, you know, with an actual workout routine), and that the coaches have as much to do with the strength of their players as they do their height. So much money thrown around in these sports, so little brains attracted to it. Amazing.

Sad? What are you talking about? I just found out I am in possession of "insane strength". This is a Good Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    I like how the "director of athletic performance" is genuinely surprised that the guy can do this. This implies that it just happened without anyone planning it (like, you know, with an actual workout routine), and that the coaches have as much to do with the strength of their players as they do their height. So much money thrown around in these sports, so little brains attracted to it. Amazing.
    maybe the lack of planning is why he was impressed - his first time ever deadlifting was 4 plates

Also a trap bar dead lift.

And his "Strength Coach" doesn't know the difference.

starting strength coach development program
    Starting Strength led me on a path that apparently got me 1.54xinsane strength. Thanks Coach!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast