starting strength gym

Thread: Hamstring length

Default Hamstring length

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    "As the hip flexes, the knee flexes, thus keeping the hamstring at about the same length throughout the movement."- You on various occasions

I don't understand. How is it then that hamstrings are lengthened much more in a back squat that in a front squat if they don't lengthen on the way down, but you start out with an erect torso on both?

They are SHORTENED in a front squat.

So their length decreases because the knee flexes far more than the hip flexes? Wouldn't it therefore follow that the hamstrings will lengthen in a squat where the hip flexes more than the knee flexes?

Draw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon321 View Post
    So their length decreases because the knee flexes far more than the hip flexes? Wouldn't it therefore follow that the hamstrings will lengthen in a squat where the hip flexes more than the knee flexes?
    May I humbly suggest consulting figure 2-33 on page 38 of SSBBT 3rd Ed. for and idea of what is happening to the hamstring during the front squat and the squat. For that matter, I suggest reading chapter 2 of the book, where it is discussed in depth.