starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with bastardized plates for Dead-lifts.

Default Dealing with bastardized plates for Dead-lifts.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Landing the bar results in some left/right tilt on the X-axis (as the weights shift from any corner of the plates trying to level themselves out to the flat position.) Trying to re-align your body and feet while at the bottom, bar still grasped, results in an (very) ugly subsequent pull.

Aside from the obvious (New gym, your own gym, that has proper rounded plates), is there anything that can be done to the weights themselves in order to remedy this 12-sided problem, or at least significantly lesson it?

If not, I was thinking about just doing singles (max 5) on a stopwatch, allowing myself perhaps 30 seconds between reps. This way, once the load is landed, I can let go, stand up, and align myself behind the bar properly, re-grip and pull again.

Curious as to opinion on this "solution".

Regards

-Jeremy

I have no input, other than my traditional "get a better gym" response to this old question.

Quote Originally Posted by Músculo-Tonto View Post
    Landing the bar results in some left/right tilt on the X-axis (as the weights shift from any corner of the plates trying to level themselves out to the flat position.) Trying to re-align your body and feet while at the bottom, bar still grasped, results in an (very) ugly subsequent pull.

Aside from the obvious (New gym, your own gym, that has proper rounded plates), is there anything that can be done to the weights themselves in order to remedy this 12-sided problem, or at least significantly lesson it?

If not, I was thinking about just doing singles (max 5) on a stopwatch, allowing myself perhaps 30 seconds between reps. This way, once the load is landed, I can let go, stand up, and align myself behind the bar properly, re-grip and pull again.

Regards

-Jeremy
    I think it was twofours ...he bought some cheap 10# bumper plates from Dicks...he sandwiches it between the first 45 and second 45 (245).....to fix the hex plate problem..to make round....he says the 10's have last two years....IIRC he dead lifts around 400-500#....guess he brings these/keeps these at his commercial gym

Landing the bar results in some left/right tilt on the X-axis (as the weights shift from any corner of the plates trying to level themselves out to the flat position.)
    I hurt my back lowering a deadlift with those plates a few years ago. I was lowering the bar under control and when it touched down it jerked sharply as the plates rolled to the flat spots. That was the last time I did deads with those plates. I now drive three times as far (12 miles vs 4 miles) to a gym in the same chain with round plates on days that I deadlift.

The day that they get rid of the round plates at that location is the day I cancel my membership.

I take wooden bumpers to gyms that have these bastards.
    They don't last long, but they cost about $5 and let me train effectively when travelling

Rip, how many people do you suppose die each year from bars loaded with round plates that are sent careening out of control across the gym floor... which is the only thing I can think flat plates might prevent.

As opposed to the flat plates which cause the bar to nick your shins 100% of the time.

I bought two decent 10kg bumpers. They show no sign of wear at all after 3 years.

Regards

-Jeremy
    Nail or screw together a stack of 2x4s, such that when the bar rests on the stack the plates do not touch the ground. Build a miniature platform to put under your feet, such that the bar is at standard height. Do not use this setup with a good bar, but if you are lifting at a place with hex plates I cannot imagine the bar is good.

When at my work gym, I just reset every lift, but I don't do it to a stop watch just as quickly as possible.

starting strength coach development program
    Deadlifts are reset before every rep anyway. You must mean something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast