starting strength gym

Thread: Need help with press form

Default Need help with press form

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I get terrible pain in my left shoulder (right side in this video). As soon as my elbows rotate outwards and the bar clears my head, it feels like the joint is bearing the weight and not the musculature. This is my last set of 67.5x5, so a good example of my form at it's absolute worst

YouTube

How does your shoulder feel in the other lifts? How long's it been going on? Have tried adjusting your frip width? What happens if you do a strict or 1.0 press?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    How does your shoulder feel in the other lifts? How long's it been going on? Have tried adjusting your frip width? What happens if you do a strict or 1.0 press?
    Shoulder feels 100% during each of the other lifts. The short amount of research I did found a lot of folks with shoulder pain during bench press, but bench feels great. I've played around with narrower/wider grip and the other OHP varieties, it still hits the same exact spot in the shoulder once weight is added on. I'm wondering if I should see an ortho to get it checked out for an injury.

Worth checking. You're pretty wobbly in the press, but if the shoulder doesn't hurt doing anything else, you may have a spur or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Worth checking. You're pretty wobbly in the press, but if the shoulder doesn't hurt doing anything else, you may have a spur or something.
    just set up an appt with an ortho just to be safe. spoke with my SSC, gonna just do light banded work, increase volume, and use lighter weight in the meantime. at the risk of being accused of not doing the program, I started training specifically to avoid injury, so I'm gonna keep on trucking with the other lifts and take it easy on the shoulders for the next few weeks