starting strength gym

Thread: Complete Form Check - Am i weak, bad or both ?

Default Complete Form Check - Am i weak, bad or both ?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello,

i really would apreciate if you could check my form of all lifts, here is why:
    I read SS 3. Edition more than once, as well as PP and really try to do the right technique and improve it every workout, but i really struggle with bench and press. My Squat, Deadlift and Power Clean went up, i gained some weight and feel stronger, people tell my i look more athletic... BUT only on my lower body. I also gained some strength and size on my upper body, mut not far as much as other people. After every setback (not hitting 3x5 three times --> Deload) i work up again to my numbers but stall instantly an nearly the same weight, so i guess its a form issue on most of the lifts. I reached most of my "records" already in december. My bench did not increased at all, i was stronger when i was "just benching" and doing sz curls (bro-split-shit at the age of 17/18). And my weights are way to low to be at the end of my linear progression (IMO).

Height: 190cm/6'3
    Weight: 100kg/225lbs

SS since sep/2017
    Starting weight: 83kg/183lbs

5RM-Working sets on everything besides PC(3RM)
    ----I started with lower weights as described in the book (the weight when the bar starts moving slower)
    SQ: 90kg(198lbs) --> 135kg(298lbs)
    BP: 70kg(154lbs) --> 82,5kg(182lbs)
    OP: 45kg(99lbs) --> 56kg(123lbs)
    DL: 110kg(242lbs) -->170kg(375lbs)
    PC: 65kg(143lbs) --> 77,5kg(171lbs)

Special Snowflake:
    -Hipdisplasia, but doc/physio said i should continue working out like that
    -lax capsules, especially shoulders --> i should pay a lot of attention on correct form, and pack on a lot of strength and size so the muscles compensate this issue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer: -Sorry for funny facial expressions and grunting
    -On most of the exercises i tried to get several angles, the 45° suggestion was unworkable for me. Hope the provided angles are ok.

Squat:

YouTube

What i noticed:
    -to much good morning style on the second set
    -fancy moves by my right leg (every time i do squats)

Bench:

YouTube

next Workout (with bench in it) was a complete fail:

YouTube

Press:

YouTube

The first set on the video is my second working set, on the third one i just got completly mad for failing after the second rep.
    I cant lockout, and im pretty sure that its a mobilitiy issue. Did somebody got the same problem? Because even by streting and mobilizing it dont geht that much better...

Deadlift

YouTube

I am afraid that my shoulder is not in the correct position, is it fine like that or not?
    I struggle a lot with the lowering of the weight, its often not a straight line.

Powerclean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhvL...ature=youtu.be

Last set where my form was the worst, i know that my knees goes to much forward.

Thanks in advance

Your videos say they are unavailable.

Sorry, youtube set them on privat.
    I corrected it

Squats - stance is too wide. Read Bill Hannons article on thoracic extension. Stay tighter, especially on the way down.

Bench - squirm less.

Dead - you're too far from the bar. Lock out at the top.

Press - pick a style and stick with it. Get tighter.

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by Wozzelsepp View Post
    Powerclean
    One note on your PC, if I may; you are way too hasty.
    Take your time to place the bar in the right position, and wait until the right moment to go for the explosion.
    Right now, you are taking the bar very quickly from the floor to above the knees. This part doesn't seem to bad; we can't see your legs because of the dark trousers, but you seem to have the right idea about the setup. The whole movement is a bit too rushed for my liking, but that's just me.
    But once, the bar clears the knees, it all goes a bit Pete Tong; you immediately start bending your elbows and launch into the explosive phase.
    Wait.
    Be patient.
    There is no hurry, the police is not knocking on the door of your underground nuclear bunker (that's what it is, right? Either that, or the dungeon of a French chateau) to arrest you.
    Give the bar time to ride a little more up your thigh, keep your triceps locked and trust your pull to do the job. Force yourself to wait just a little bit more before pulling the trigger.

On a separate note; you need to close the lift faster; faster elbows, faster diving under the bar, louder stomp. You are never fast enough in a Power Clean, so you better get used to open your mental throttle now. But first, fix the timing.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Squats - stance is too wide. Read Bill Hannons article on thoracic extension. Stay tighter, especially on the way down.

Bench - squirm less.

Dead - you're too far from the bar. Lock out at the top.

Press - pick a style and stick with it. Get tighter.
    Thanks for that, the tip with the stance was extremly helpful, i thought i would even stand to narrow. Changing that up felt way more natural in my last session.
    And the article definitely helped me on all exercises, never really noticed that issue.
    I will concentrate on that and especeally on tightness.
    Thank you a lot

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hello,

One note on your PC, if I may; you are way too hasty.
    Take your time to place the bar in the right position, and wait until the right moment to go for the explosion.
    Right now, you are taking the bar very quickly from the floor to above the knees. This part doesn't seem to bad; we can't see your legs because of the dark trousers, but you seem to have the right idea about the setup. The whole movement is a bit too rushed for my liking, but that's just me.
    But once, the bar clears the knees, it all goes a bit Pete Tong; you immediately start bending your elbows and launch into the explosive phase.
    Wait.
    Be patient.
    There is no hurry, the police is not knocking on the door of your underground nuclear bunker (that's what it is, right? Either that, or the dungeon of a French chateau) to arrest you.
    Give the bar time to ride a little more up your thigh, keep your triceps locked and trust your pull to do the job. Force yourself to wait just a little bit more before pulling the trigger.

On a separate note; you need to close the lift faster; faster elbows, faster diving under the bar, louder stomp. You are never fast enough in a Power Clean, so you better get used to open your mental throttle now. But first, fix the timing.

Hope this helps,

IPB
    Ok, i will take more time for the setup, lift it slower above the knee and concentrate on the correct timing.
    Thank you

Off Topic: I love your writing style that Pete Tong thing immediately gave me a picture of my clean.
    An to my "gym": ists neither a nuclear bunker (even though it looks like this ) nor a dungeon of a French chateau. My parents locked me up in our basement and told me only to come out of it when i can tell them that i am a man now