starting strength gym

Thread: First Time TUBOW Squats Form Check

Default First Time TUBOW Squats Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I recently started feeling some anterior hip pain similar to what's described in the squat section of the SS book so today I decided to deload 20% and use TUBOW (well foam rollers for now until I can go to home depot). TUBOWs are set about a 3/4 inch from my shoes. How do these look?

Side View:
    YouTube

Rear 45:
    YouTube
    I was adjusting my feet relative to the TUBOWs in this set.

I might have you try it at 1/2 inch from your toe. Maybe even 3/8. Just kidding, nobody understands fractions. Move it a tiny little schooch closer. Get your knee to touch the TURO(n)F sooner and keep the knee on it as you come up driving the HIPS out of the bottom. Wood works better than Rollers of Nubby Foam. You should be touching it for real, real soon in your descent, and the wood is better at not falling over than the foam deal.

Thanks Adam! I will get real TUBOWs tomorrow and use them Wednesday with the suggestions you gave. Is it okay to use them until I finish LP? I was nearing the end of novice LP before the hip pain kicked in and don't want to creep back into old habits once the weight starts getting heavier.

It's also funny you replied seeing as part of why I decided to use TUBOW was after reading this conversation you were included in: Squat Timing (A Discussion by your SSOC Coaches) | Starting Strength Online Coaching

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn1993 View Post
    Thanks Adam! I will get real TUBOWs tomorrow and use them Wednesday with the suggestions you gave. Is it okay to use them until I finish LP? I was nearing the end of novice LP before the hip pain kicked in and don't want to creep back into old habits once the weight starts getting heavier.
    I have most of my lifters who need them only use them during the more manageable warm-up sets (maybe up to the penultimate warm-up) and then try to mimic the motor pattern with what I goofily refer to as "the imaginary TUBOW." It can be really awkward to set up with a very heavy weight, even if you have a trusted friend or coach place and remove the thing for you.