starting strength gym

Thread: PC form check

Default PC form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I recently started power cleaning again, and thought it was time to do a check-up. My PC's have gotten better and heavier since last time, but the PC/DL ratio is still quite low.

From what I can tell it seems like the weight shifts forward towards my toes, right after the bar passes the knees; I'm more or less standing on my toes before the jump. Is this a big problem? I'll try to work on it this Monday anyway.
    Sorry about the video quality/angle, but you can clearly see the "problem".

Also, should I stomp a bit more? Or land a bit more aggressively? Right now it seems like I'm landing like a feather.

Yes, definitely...keep the bar over the mid-foot on the ascent. Why do you think this is happening?

Bending my knees too early, and therefor pushing the bar forwards. I'm probably focusing too much on the second bend, and according to the book I should "merely touch my thighs with the bar".

(Turns out I did the same thing this morning. This Wednesday I'll use lower weights and check every set.)
    I'll be back with a better viewing angle as well.

I think this is better. After about an hour of PC I finally found a cue that works: "Heels, heels, heels!". However this resulted in jumping backwards.. but I guess that's better and easier to correct.

(at 0:14)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca7a...layer&start=14

I posted this while the forum was down/laggy, seems like it says the last post was 11-11-2013, I'll make a justified bump.

The biggest thing I notice in both videos is that you are jerking the bar off the ground, rather than "squeezing" it. Make sure you are squeezing your chest up until there is no slack in the system (i.e. Until you are actually putting tension on the bar), then squeeze the bar off the floor by pushing your feet straight down. You may have to consciously shift your weight back off your toes.

Also, be sure you are not pushing the bar forward of your mid-foot with your shins, even a little bit. These two things should help keep the bar in a nice straight vertical line.

Alright. Squeezing the bar isn't a problem when Deadlifting, so that'll be easy to fix.
    I'll focus on shifting the weight back, I had more or less the same problem with my Deadlift previously.

I'm wondering about the bar speed pre-jump - when my bar path/technique is perfectly vertical - should I try to pull it as fast as possible? Without jerking the bar obviously. Or should I just keep a "normal Deadlift speed"?

starting strength coach development program
    "Normal Deadlift speed" should have you accelerating the bar through the first pull, since it is a very light Deadlift. This is the main advantage of pulling the bar in a straight vertical line (as opposed to an s-curve) from the floor. Keep the back in extension, hard, shoulders in front of the bar, and the pull of the hamstrings turn your back into a trebuchet, accelerating the bar through the first pull.