starting strength gym

Thread: Some "Anabolic Diet" questiosn

Default Some "Anabolic Diet" questiosn

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Jordan,

I'm giving this anabolic diet thing a try. I know that it isn't optimal for performance, but I feel like it's something I can definitely enjoy complying to (and I have had zero trouble the first two weeks, anyway). I've thoroughly enjoyed ham, steak, sausage, bacon, etc as my primary meats - as opposed to turkey/chicken. I have a few questions on how I can tweak it.

My questions is basically what is the optimal set up for a high-fat diet? Carb up once on Wed, once on Sat? I'd like to put a carb up on the weekend, but at the same time I feel like a carb up during the week before some intense day could be great too.

I'm new to using fat as a primary energy source. Honestly I'd be okay with cycling carb days and fat days. I'm just looking for some suggestions for using high fat as a primary foundation of my diet. Again, I know that you've mentioned carbs as the way to go, but having lots of steak and what not will highly increase the likelihood that I actually comply to this shit. Throw some suggestions my way, if you have any time.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LucaTurilli View Post
    My questions is basically what is the optimal set up for a high-fat diet? Carb up once on Wed, once on Sat?
    I'd have 2 carb ups per week spread out by 72hrs with higher carbs (obviously), lower protein (slightly), and lower fat (markedly).

I'm new to using fat as a primary energy source.
    There is zero percent chance you are using fat as a primary energy source during anaerobic activity. Additionally, everyone uses fat as a primary energy source at rest. The main reason a diet like the anabolic diet works is because it results in net caloric deficit over a week, but any discussion of biochemistry or physiology outside of that is likely misguided. That said, I don't have any problem with the anabolic diet if it boosts compliance. From the sounds of things that's what it does for you! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I'd have 2 carb ups per week spread out by 72hrs with higher carbs (obviously), lower protein (slightly), and lower fat (markedly).

There is zero percent chance you are using fat as a primary energy source during anaerobic activity. Additionally, everyone uses fat as a primary energy source at rest. The main reason a diet like the anabolic diet works is because it results in a net caloric deficit over a week, but any discussion of biochemistry or physiology outside of that is likely misguided. That said, I don't have any problem with the anabolic diet if it boosts compliance. From the sounds of things that's what it does for you! Good luck.
    I hadn't heard of the "Anabolic Diet" before so I gave it a Google. Is it not just a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet with a fancy name to drive SEO?

Quote Originally Posted by jdoolittle View Post
    I hadn't heard of the "Anabolic Diet" before so I gave it a Google. Is it not just a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet with a fancy name to drive SEO?
    More or less.