starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for power clean

Default Replacement for power clean

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Is it possible to replace the power clean with another excersice but it will have a similar as possible effect?

thanks, Yaron.

And for someone that cannot rack or do the over head portion of the snatch, is something like a high pull a decent enough substitute?

Perhaps you should tackle the issues of why you can not rack a clean or a snatch. What's preventing you? Or is this hypothetical?

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Perhaps you should tackle the issues of why you can not rack a clean or a snatch. What's preventing you? Or is this hypothetical?
    hypothetical, because the thecnique is very hard and in SS if i am doing an excersise wrong it will do more harm than good..

Personally I found power snatches to be way easier than power cleans. But that's just me.

Clean Pulls. It works for the Chinese.

Does it work for the half-Dutch?

Yaron, have you watched the powersnatch video? Pretty simple stuff, add conservative-weight practice and you'll have it down pat, at least to the point of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Does it work for the half-Dutch?

Yaron, have you watched the powersnatch video? Pretty simple stuff, add conservative-weight practice and you'll have it down pat, at least to the point of safety.
    I wouldn't know but I do know the Chinese Oly Coaches have their athletes perform Snatch High Pulls and Clean Pulls as supplementary exercises to the classical lifts to increase their C&J and Snatch since you want to be a jackass.

And you honestly think the Powersnatch is easier to perform than a Power Clean. That's laughable at best. The Snatch is the most technically difficult movement to perform.

He asked for a similar movement which is basically as benficial as the Power Clean. The Clean Pull is basically the same thing. Many competitive oly lifters only perform pulls untill it gets close to the meet and than they put the classical lifts in. This would be a good option for him if he has wrist flexibility issues or perhaps doesn't have a good oly bar to perform Cleans with. He also may not have a platform availble or bumpers so he can drop the weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Brotheriron,

what kind of weights do you think he should be using for these clean pulls? I wouldve imagined limit weights would make it too similar to a deadlift and very different from the explosiveness of a power clean. Would keeping to weights light enough to at least get elbows bent be a good idea?

Also, how about kettlebell stuff?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast