starting strength gym

Thread: Is it time to move on? Really need some advice

Default Is it time to move on? Really need some advice

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello everyone I need some help deciding whether i should change to texas method or stay on novice progression. Its been 20 weeks/5 months and here are my stats:

BW 153lbs > 171lbs

most recent 3x5
    SQ 60KG > 100KG
    BP 50KG > 82.5KG
    DL 80KG > 140KG
    PRESS 40KG > 60KG Only just started feeling stronger on this hadn't really moved for 10 weeks
    Rows were up to 85KG but recently started doing powercleans this week at 60KG to learn technique.

A few stupid things on my account to consider; I started the weights too high to begin I think, my form on most lifts but especially the squat was atrocious untill week 10ish when things started clicking, I neglected bench pressing a little and I should of ate more.

So now I'm feeling my form has finally clicked lately and rather than cocnsistently going up then tappering I've actually made more progress in the last six weeks that all my initial weeks. Infact I feel like the first 10 weeks were almost wasted due to shit form and being stubborn never really deloading, and probably not eating enough.

Even though recently I feel like I've started making more progress than before do you think I've left it a little too late now and have probably exhausted 3x5 rep scheme? And although I feel I've got alot more strength increases in me now especially for squats, my recovery feels like its getting shittier and maybe I should change up rep schemes (texas method) because of adaption and will actually make better progress.

Or do I eat more make more recovery efforts and carry on? I just don't know whether I'd be flogging a dead horse because I've been doing this for 5 months (even if the early ones wern't following the programme properly) and I'd make faster progress from a change of pace?

Thankyou in advance to anyone who offers me advice.

if your goal is to continue getting stronger then i would say eat more, exhaust 3x5 linear gains, then try madcow ramping 5x5 (google it, read it thoroughly, you can download the template somewhere, just plug in your numbers). madcow ramping 5x5 will raise you 5RM. keep eating.

I think it may be too early to worry about program changes, especially on the squat. You have identified several shortcomings in your training> You should address those, reset as needed and actually make a go of doing the program. How tall are you?

I have to agree with Tom here. You have a ways to go before you can seriously consider the need for intermediate programming (especially on the squat). Do the program, including microloading on pressing movements when needed, switching to advanced novice as advocated/when required.

If you're squatting 100kg after 5 months, you're doing something wrong. But, anyway, if you've made great progress in the last 6 weeks, why change? Don't stop until it stops working. Has it stopped working? That's the one thing you haven't mentioned.

How tall are you? How old are you?

unless your very small and have a problem

You dont want to move on to Texas Method too early. 5x5 sets across is goddamn brutal, I kinda miss squatting only three sets at a time...

starting strength coach development program
    Not enough info to know what to say.

It's like saying "I've got a car, been running ok lately, should I change the oil?"