starting strength gym

Thread: Texas rep schemes

Default Texas rep schemes

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi ya'll,
    just wanted to ask you guys what does this means to you since lately I asked Ripp about a different rep scheme for someone who's interested in size doing Texas and at the end he told that 10 reps are not what Texas is about:

Pag. 123 PPST2: Most intermediate trainees will be able to make progress for months on program set up like this one. Different set and rep schemes can be used as long as the basic template of a volume workout, a light workout and an intensity workout is followed.

How do you see it? I mean, are higher reps out of the game? And why?

I think if you follow the most common version of TM but replace the friday workout with 5 high rep sets, you'd be basically doing a Starr model workout. I don't know to what extent it matters what you call it, as long as it works.

Hi and thanks your reply!
    I agree with you. I don't know why Ripp says that Texas doesn't work well with higher reps and "8-10 reps are not Texas"...just curiousity. Anyway what you say it's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I think if you follow the most common version of TM but replace the friday workout with 5 high rep sets, you'd be basically doing a Starr model workout. I don't know to what extent it matters what you call it, as long as it works.

He does say something about putting 5 sets of 12-15 reps on Friday if hypertrophy is your thing, but it's not really intensity then. It's on PP by the way.

Yeah, for those who want higher reps for a focus on hypertrophy it is suggested to do them on the "intensity" day. However, its important to remember that despite the names given to these days, the overall stress from the intensity friday is less than than stress produced from monday's volume. If someone wanted to adopt this apporach, the loading of the 5X10 should be modified accordingly.

I have never done this, nor do I know anyone who has, but I would imagine that given the above, the weight should be lower than what can be done at max for 5X10 across.

I don't recall anyone around here doing this variation, it would be nice to have some input on that.

I personally find that after my core exercise I can do 2-3 set in the 10-15 range and that gives me the "final touch". I have done in the past and it worked well. Regardless of the name of the game.

Anyway I'll follow the TM untill I can in the classic way, then I'll probably follow the more advanced ways offered in the book (I like the pyramid Model which, for example, could be used with different rep ranges).

My question was more about the sentence in the book. So to me it's wrong to assume that if you put a 3-5x10 on Volume day (that's what Ripp told me - not Intensity day but Volume day) it's not Texas because 10's doesn't work well and therefore "it's not Texas anymore". Then you read in the book that "different set and reps schemes can be used " so what kind of sets/reps he suggests apart from the classic and basic template?

Anyway I guess it's useful to change our reps for sometime, maybe putting a 4x10 4 week block in between, just to "feel the pump" thus having fun without stressing too much ourselves with our usual high loads. It's something the eases our mind and our joints too.

He is of the opinion that 5's are a better stressor than 10's. He has suggested 8 sets of triples as an alternative for 5x5.

If Rip says 10s are not Texas then clearly 10s are not Texas regardless of any ambiguity in the book. No point in trying to this his own book in his face about it.

starting strength coach development program
    It was most likely a standard Ripism - do whatever the fuck you like, just dont call it Texas if you screw with it.

He has been pretty clear though, 5X5 is the basis of the program, and significant modifications of the rep schemes should be done on the friday