starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method deadlift programming

Default Texas Method deadlift programming

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I started TM the week of 11/22 and have it set up exactly like Rip explains in his T-Nation article. I has deadlifts 1x5 after Monday's squats and bench. I must tell you, that for me it made 365x5 feel more like 405x5. Additionally, I was using my new lifting shoes with a .75 inch heel, so that probably was a factor as well.

To me it seems that the intensity day would be a better place for 1 set of heavy deadlifts. After the squats and bench on intensity day, I really had barely broken a sweat and would have a good amount of energy for deads. Additionally, it seems like it would make sense to do power cleans (5x3) on the volume day anyhow.

I know Rip has a reasoning for putting deadlifts on Monday, I just don't know what it is. What in your humble opinions is the correct set-up for deadlifts?
    Last edited by truckerman79; 11-28-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: started TM week of 11/22, not 10/22

Rip has said you can do your DLs on Friday if you prefer.

Okie doke. Where's a good place to put weighted dips? Last exercise on intensity day sound right?

I'd probably go with Starr here and do Dips on your Pressing days, and Chins on your Bench days. Find which day works best, so maybe it's on Volume and Light Days, maybe it's on Light and Intensity Days, etc... Feel free to experiment.

-Hat

the deadlift is the most stressful thing you can do for your body, so it goes on volume day, the day you are trying to stress your body, this makes sense... Take a longer break between squats and deadlifts that may help you, eat some protein and carbs on your volume day. fucking carb up on sunday in preparation for your volume day, you can do it, it will work

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mccaulleyg View Post
    the deadlift is the most stressful thing you can do for your body, so it goes on volume day, the day you are trying to stress your body, this makes sense... Take a longer break between squats and deadlifts that may help you, eat some protein and carbs on your volume day. fucking carb up on sunday in preparation for your volume day, you can do it, it will work
    Ok, this is the answer I was looking for! This makes perfect sense now. Thank you!