starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Rep Dead Lifts

Default High Rep Dead Lifts

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Do you think doing sets of 10 (at a weight that leaves a couple more reps in the tank) for a few weeks would help me get a better rhythm and help me establish my set up? I think I've got my form sorted, at least it's the best it's been... when I'm able to concentrate.

I'm massively over thinking each rep right now and making things harder on myself.

Three weeks ago I did 1x5x335 and it felt hard but good. I've since gone down hill... 1x3x340 and then 1x1x340.

I think I just need more practice picking the weight up and setting it down without worrying about how heavy it is.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 12-17-2010 at 03:21 PM.

How about doing a lot of singles instead? A high-rep set means that you'll likely not set up properly after the first rep. With singles, you set up every single time. Also: just do it. Grip and rip. Commit to the pull. It's not a fluid dynamics problem or something.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    How about doing a lot of singles instead? A high-rep set means that you'll likely not set up properly after the first rep. With singles, you set up every single time. Also: just do it. Grip and rip. Commit to the pull. It's not a fluid dynamics problem or something.
    Sounds good, what would be the best way then to work on the flow into 5 rep sets? Just start taking less and less time between reps? Or does it matter?

Here's my vid just for reference sake:

When I have a form issue (or a meta-form issue, as the case may be), I tend to hit the books and/or the DVD, and try to figure out what to focus on. Points of improvement in mind, I typically write a couple things down on my whiteboard to help me remember and focus on these points (e.g. for some bench issues I was trying to iron out recently I put down "BACK" with a little diagram of an arch and some arrows indicating to keep my back arched and tight; "ELBOWS" with a couple diagonal arrows pointing down indicating to remember not to let my elbows flare up toward my shoulders; and "BAR PATH" and an arrow pointing to the side, reminding me to touch the bar on the same spot on my chest, which I tend to drift up away from when I get tired). Then, starting with my warmups on through my work set(s), I will recite these things over and over as I go through the lift that needs work, focusing on doing things right and drilling it in verbally as well. This is something I picked up from my experience rock climbing, where, when climbing something, you have to remember the "beta," i.e. the sequence of handholds and footholds to grab, and body positions and other subtle cues for making it through a tough section. Hammering it home when the going is easy (in the case of climbing, I will often think through and even pantomime the necessary movements while saying them out loud or in my head while standing on the ground looking at the climb) really helps automate the process when it gets hard. Last week when I DL-ed 400 again, I added in some self-motivation for each rep as well, as I also tend to overthink setup, so I did a little preflight mantra each rep: "Grip: solid (*set my hook grip*). Stance: perfect (*adjust feet and plant 'em*). Alright, set back, chest up, squeeeeze it off the floor. GO!" While you may not want to dork out that hard on the process, maybe there's something useful in there for you. And your deads look real solid, by the way. If you hold them for a little less time at lockout and set them down much faster, you might find you have more gas in the tank too, BTW.

Good stuff Ian...

My thought on high reps was to ingrain the pattern and cues so when it comes time to lift I only have to think consciously about a couple of them. I'll get there eventually, but I was wondering if there was a faster way.

After you do the singles, figure out what cue you need and what cue works, then either have somebody shout it at you as you lift or shout it in your head.

What's the consensus view on how long one should take between reps on a 1x5 max lift? A second or two? 5 seconds? 10 seconds?

Long enough to take a couple breaths and set up again. I think that might be 3 seconds on the last rep, maybe. 10 seconds sounds like a long time.

On that set I averaged 4.5 seconds between setting the bar down and picking it up (standard deviation of 1 second). I averaged about 9.75 seconds for each complete rep (standard deviation of 0.95743 seconds).
    Merry Christmas. My gift to you.
    I could have been a bit faster I think but that rhythm didn't feel bad.

I'm sure glad I'm not a dork like Ian.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 12-17-2010 at 05:11 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I git pissed off 2 weeks ago because my deadlift was kicking my weak ass so I did a somewhat-heavy set of 7 and THAT kicked my ass really good. Don't know how effective it was though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast