Thread: Re: the deadlift

Default Re: the deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    What come next on deadlift?

425 x 5
    430 x 5 (barely made this set)
    435 x ??

Should it be 435 x 3 - or - 435 x 3 x 2?

I get confused and wont have the book in front of me before I hit the gym today. I know that if it were squats it would be 435 x 3 x 2 but a bit confused on the DL.

435 x 5.

ok I lied - 430 was 4.5 reps.

Well, Andy's the expert on this stuff, but you could always just sort of split the difference:

435 x 3, 395 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Interesting. Not try for two triples @ 435 with sufficient rest?
    If he's a good recoverer, yeah. That's exactly what I'm planning on doing with my own programming (coincidentally at an eerily similar weight, hit 435 x 5, going to do 2 trips @ 440 next week), because I like to pretend I'm still young, and I make sleep and nutrition a priority.

But failing last week + failing this week would be a tragedy. He's gotta plan something he's going to nail.

kind of the same thinking I had, although I havent DL'd in 2 weeks due to a ski trip/christmas.

ok. that is what I will do. Hoping my time off will make it smooth as butter

I've sometimes gone for weeks "barely making" a set, but I still add weight and make it the next time because, after all, if the programming is working, you are getting stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    ok I lied - 430 was 4.5 reps.
    Don't lie. You either made it or you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Well, Andy's the expert on this stuff, but you could always just sort of split the difference:

435 x 3, 395 x 3
    I just came from Andy's and we had a similar discussion. Two words. Maintain intensity. If that's 3 singles, or 2 triples, or whatever, it doesn't matter. Maintain intensity and you'll likely progress.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    I just came from Andy's and we had a similar discussion. Two words. Maintain intensity. If that's 3 singles, or 2 triples, or whatever, it doesn't matter. Maintain intensity and you'll likely progress.
    No doubt. Weight on the bar has to go up. I think we're all on the same page there. Whether that means 1 triple, a triple and a backoff set, or 2 triples is, at the end of the day, less important than the fact that you gotta put more. weight. on the bar.

Andy's made this idea more clear lately (or maybe I've just understood it more clearly), and it's to all of our benefit, if we're smart enough to listen.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast