starting strength gym

Thread: Programming Advice

Default Programming Advice

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    40 yo male
    Congenital spinal defects with extra vertebrae at T3, T10, L6 causing all manner of back problems.

What assistance exercises would you recommend for the back between T3 and T12? The muscles, probably even the intermediate and deep layers, are hurting. Sometimes as a result of squats, sometimes for no reason at all. It feels best when someone takes a pillow against my back, braces their knee against it, and pulls my shoulders back with all their might. I feel it most when I take a deep breath and arch my back like a cat leading me to believe even the inter spinals and intercostals are involved along with erectors, rhomboids, traps.

I'm doing the blast strap rows as recommended for 2 sets of 10 with a solid 2 second squeeze. I also let it stretch my upper back really well at the bottom. Do them twice a week. Any suggestion on how to progress?

I also took up nearly daily walking as you suggested. I'm only up to 15 minutes but it's with a good erect posture and feels good.

Assisted chins twice a week.

Stopped back extensions.

Any suggestions?

As always, your input is valued. Lower back is doing better with the recommended squat form change. Deadlift doesn't hurt much at all.

Thanks,
    Isaac

Do you have access to any manner of lat machine? Pulldowns, Rows, etc, etc??

I've been keeping an eye out on Craig's List for a lat pull down but all of them so far are expensive compund exercise "gyms". Would the pull downs be the way to go varying grip width and torso angle?

As far as rows, just the blast strap BW rows.

The lat pull would allow you to vary the grip/torso angle to an exact position that just hammers the area that is giving you problems. And you could hit it with a fairly high volume with systemically killing yourself.

I don't know that that approach will work. But rest doesn't seem to help, so I'm hoping that going to the other end of the spectrum might. If I'm wrong then you might just be fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    you might just be fucked.
    Pretty much the conclusion of me and my doc, though I'm slower in accepting reality. Beginning to think just maintenance squats might be necessary and just progress on deads. We'll see and thanks for all the help. I'll be back in about a month or two from now. I don't think I'm going to be able to swing the price of the seminar.

But I'm still doing the fasted morning walking. Made my first mile this morning. Hurt like hell but progressing.