starting strength gym

Thread: bigger back inspired

Default bigger back inspired

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Andy,

I just listened to your bigger back audio clip. Very interesting. You make some good points and really got me thinking.

Two months ago I hit a wall strength wise and felt that I might need some more muscle. Current stats are:
    235lbs @ 5’10” @ 18% BF
    SQ 560
    BP288 (pathetic I know)
    DL580

These lifts are not particularly heavy for my BW but I’ve always been a guy who needed to grow to get stronger. I did a 20 rep squat stint once and added 10kg and needed a new wardrobe . After that my strength shot up. Inspired by this past experience I decided I need more mass but want to maintain strength. So I thought DUP. This has been my program for the last 8 weeks (last top set is listed)

Tue
    SQ 5RM + 5 reps back off sets (480x5)
    BP/OHP 5RM + 5 reps back off sets (BP 244x5)
    Power shrug 3x5 (500x5x3)
    Chins (11,10,8,8)

Thu
    SQ 3x10 (405x10x3)
    OHP/BP Swiss bar 3x10
    Good morning 3x10
    Rows 3x10

Sat
    SQ 3RM (511x3)
    BP 3RM (255x3)
    DL 3RM (533x3)

I was thinking of adding some more back hypertrophy stuff. Normally Wednesday is my hypertrophy day but heavy back stuff there fucks up Fridays performance.

How would you implement some heavy ass back work in here?

My thought: alternate rack pull/dead. One heavy set than lots of back off followed with rows. No rows on Wed. But then I have two high rep days… Thoughts??

No, I don't like volume GMs and Rows 48 hours before heavy deads. I think you are gonna overtrain on this.

If you are wanting to do all these exercises for the upper and lower back I'd probably just come up with some sort of split routine.

Bench and Press Stuff
    Legs and Back Stuff
    Off
    Bench and Press Stuff
    Legs and Back Stuff
    Off
    Off