starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what do you think of this?

Default So what do you think of this?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am 51y/o, 163 lbs, 5'8.5", 9 weeks into Novice LP. I went to 2 workouts per week after about 5 weeks to have better recovery time, and to make progression continue. I have decided now to try 4 days per week, due mostly to time constraints. Below is what I have planned. I would like to know if this is a good plan, and I would like to know what accessory you would add for each of these main lifts, if any. I added dumbbell curls to OP today, for example. I would like to add chins to one or more days. Thoughts?

Monday: Overhead press (dumbbell curls: 15, 20, 25, 27.5 - 12 reps each, each arm)
    Tuesday: Squats
    Wednesday: off
    Thursday: Bench
    Friday: Deads (also may alternate PCs once I get the hang)

I do have a training log on here too, for what it's worth.

Thanks

It is a lunch time workout, but that length varies due to job. So let me see if I understand: If I have time on Friday, do squats with the deads (I was able to do this last Friday, so it is possible); quick pull movements after squats (what would be an example of a quick pull movement?); and, with bench press or OP, maybe some dumbbell tricep overhead extensions (for example)?

Doing a "one lift a day" program is not a novice linear progression. If time is an issue per session, but you can lift 4x a week, do an upper/lower split.

M:
    Bench 3x5
    Press 3x5
    (Accessory work)

T:
    Squat 3x5
    Chin/row

T:
    Bench 3x5@ +5 lbs
    Press 3x5@ +5 lbs
    (Accessory work)

F:
    Squat 3x5@ +5lbs
    Deadlifts 1x5
    Curls

Obviously, you can do whatever appropriate poundage increases or rep schemes, but the core is there. You're a novice, so do an actual linear progression with multiple weight increases per week. When you can't bump the weight up every session, then you may consider some intermediate program like 1-lift per day or whatever.

I stalled on bench (140) and OPs (90), but got back on track on OPs today (95). I'm ordering micro plates tonight. I don't think I can keep up the 5 lb increases on bench and press. I'll see if I can follow this suggestion. Again, its a time thing (not for lack of trying, believe me.)

VD? Drawing a blank... Volume days? I haven't figured that whole thing out yet.
    Last edited by Smyth; 03-09-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    VD? Drawing a blank... Volume days? I haven't figured that whole thing out yet.
    Right, basically just do the 1lb press increases and 2lb bench increases until that doesn't work. Continue with 5lb jumps on squat and deads until that doesn't work. When you can no longer make progress both days of the week (for a couple sessions straight- one missed jump happens, 3 is a sign), change that set of lifts to an intermediate setup (so, if bench and press stalls but you're still making your jumps on squats, only change the upper body lifts to intermediate programming and keep the lower body lifts on novice programming).

When you stall, keep the layout from above, but do

M:
    Bench (intensity) 1x5 (+2.5 lbs each week)
    Press (volume) 5x5 (80-90% of intensity)
    Accessory work

T:
    Squat (intensity) 1x5 (+5 lbs each week)
    Pulls (volume)
    Chins

T:
    Press (intensity) 1x5 (+1 lb each week)
    Bench (volume) 5x5 (80-90% of intensity day)
    Accessory work

F:
    Deadlift (intensity) 1x5 (+5 lbs each week)
    Squat (volume) 5x5 (80-90% of volume)
    CurlzZz

You can make small tweaks to that (3x8 instead of 5x5, cycling intensity day rep ranges, etc) and use that program for the next two years after LP is over. I promise you'll make gainzZz.

How much time do you actually get to train during lunch (on average)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Right, basically just do the 1lb press increases and 2lb bench increases until that doesn't work. Continue with 5lb jumps on squat and deads until that doesn't work. When you can no longer make progress both days of the week (for a couple sessions straight- one missed jump happens, 3 is a sign), change that set of lifts to an intermediate setup (so, if bench and press stalls but you're still making your jumps on squats, only change the upper body lifts to intermediate programming and keep the lower body lifts on novice programming).

When you stall, keep the layout from above, but do

M:
    Bench (intensity) 1x5 (+2.5 lbs each week)
    Press (volume) 5x5 (80-90% of intensity)
    Accessory work

T:
    Squat (intensity) 1x5 (+5 lbs each week)
    Pulls (volume)
    Chins

T:
    Press (intensity) 1x5 (+1 lb each week)
    Bench (volume) 5x5 (80-90% of intensity day)
    Accessory work

F:
    Deadlift (intensity) 1x5 (+5 lbs each week)
    Squat (volume) 5x5 (80-90% of volume)
    CurlzZz

You can make small tweaks to that (3x8 instead of 5x5, cycling intensity day rep ranges, etc) and use that program for the next two years after LP is over. I promise you'll make gainzZz.
    This is what I do and I love it. Fridays can still take over an hour though for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    This is what I do and I love it. Fridays can still take over an hour though for me.
    And gettin' ya sum gainzZz?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JTC_MN View Post
    And gettin' ya sum gainzZz?
    yip. lets me throw HIIT on monday and thursday too, so getting me some losses too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast