starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate of progress - possible to add 10lbs per week to my squat?

Default Rate of progress - possible to add 10lbs per week to my squat?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Since i'm about 6 weeks out of my first major competition, i've been meaning to ask how fast i can realistically get stronger until then.

Up until now i've added 5lbs per week on intensity day and increased volume day just by 5lbs per MONTH, all according to Justin Lascek's recommendations in his e-book. No significant stalls in any of the lifts yet, which is great.

My squat has gone from 397.5x1 in August to 462.5x3 as of now.

If i've understood things correctly, volume is the main driver of progress due to providing the stimulus that you then recover and get stronger from. So could i possibly increase my squat by 10lbs per week if i double the progression rate on volume day to 5lbs every two weeks instead of once monthly?

I'd love to hit a 550lb squat at the competition at the beginning of May, but i do not know how realistic this is.

I think it's a little more complicated than saying "volume drives progress, therefore more volume is better." It depends how much work you're able to recover from. Doubling the rate of progress may or may not be reasonable - it's probably impossible to say without more data.

Also, if you plan to compete for years, don't do anything reckless just to inflate your numbers for your first competition. The longer-term progress is what counts.

Let's hear what the more knowledgeable folks have to say, though. I'm not the expert.
    Last edited by Red Finn; 03-15-2015 at 12:31 PM.

No.

Absolute force production (measured on ID) simply doesn't scale linearly with increased tonnage (VD). Strength certainly increases with increased tonnages...but the math isn't nice and neat.

That said, I would switch to 5# jumps every other week & enjoy whatever gains you do get. A 5% increase in strength in 6 weeks would be a reasonable (& awesome) goal. 550 is certainly possible, especially with adrenalin + a fuckton of caffeine.
    Last edited by John Hanley; 03-15-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Finn View Post
    I think it's a little more complicated than saying "volume drives progress, therefore more volume is better." It depends how much work you're able to recover from. Doubling the rate of progress may or may not be reasonable - it's probably impossible to say without more data.

Also, if you plan to compete for years, don't do anything reckless just to inflate your numbers for your first competition. The longer-term progress is what counts.

Let's hear what the more knowledgeable folks have to say, though. I'm not the expert.
    I can post up all my volume and intensity day numbers over the past half year or so if that kind of data may be beneficial in deciding the plausibility? I have room to gain 10lbs of bw before i hit the ceiling for my weightclass, i've been in a calorie surplus for a little over a year.

I do plan to compete for years, it's just that this will be my second to last year as a junior so i really wanna make the fastest progress possible in order to be competitive at my remaining junior nationals'. I know this type of mentality probably isn't healthy, but going all in keeps me motivated and working out hard. I know i haven't competed before (atleast not at a sanctioned meet) but i wanna compete and be competitive, not just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexagon View Post
    I can post up all my volume and intensity day numbers over the past half year or so if that kind of data may be beneficial in deciding the plausibility? I have room to gain 10lbs of bw before i hit the ceiling for my weightclass, i've been in a calorie surplus for a little over a year.

I do plan to compete for years, it's just that this will be my second to last year as a junior so i really wanna make the fastest progress possible in order to be competitive at my remaining junior nationals'. I know this type of mentality probably isn't healthy, but going all in keeps me motivated and working out hard. I know i haven't competed before (atleast not at a sanctioned meet) but i wanna compete and be competitive, not just for fun.
    If you gain 10 lbs in the next 6 weeks, that probably helps quite a bit.

It certainly doesn't sound crazy. I'd say try it - but really, listen to John before you listen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    No.

Absolute force production (measured on ID) simply doesn't scale linearly with increased tonnage (VD). Strength certainly increases with increased tonnages...but the math isn't nice and neat.

That said, I would switch to 5# jumps every other week & enjoy whatever gains you do get. A 5% increase in strength in 6 weeks would be a reasonable goal. 550 is certainly possible, especially with adrenalin + a fuckton of caffeine.
    Thank you for your insight. I would rate the rpe of my current VD at about 8, whilst my ID usually falls around rpe 9-10. How would i notice the gains from switching to 5# jumps every other week on VD? Less strenous ID's and/or just a surprisingly good meet showing? Because if i understand correctly you say i should keep my ID at 5lbs per week and just change the VD to a more faster rate of progression

Quote Originally Posted by Red Finn View Post
    If you gain 10 lbs in the next 6 weeks, that probably helps quite a bit.

It certainly doesn't sound crazy. I'd say try it - but really, listen to John before you listen to me.
    Oh no i dont plan on filling out my class untill then, i'm already carrying quite a bit of bodyfat. I will probably only gain half of that until then! I plan on competing at a maxed out bodyweight in November at regionals

Quote Originally Posted by Hexagon View Post
    Thank you for your insight. I would rate the rpe of my current VD at about 8, whilst my ID usually falls around rpe 9-10. How would i notice the gains from switching to 5# jumps every other week on VD? Less strenous ID's and/or just a surprisingly good meet showing? Because if i understand correctly you say i should keep my ID at 5lbs per week and just change the VD to a more faster rate of progression
    I dislike the idea of adding X pounds per week on ID. I think you should use your final, heavy warmup reps to dial in ID load.

This load selection becomes automatic with time/experience (or with a good coach hovering over you). If you don't feel condident selecting ID loads on-the-fly, you should probably stick with pre-planned jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I dislike the idea of adding X pounds per week on ID. I think you should use your final, heavy warmup reps to dial in ID load.
    This has never worked well for me. My last warmup almost always feels terrible and is rarely an indication of how my sets will go. This is especially true for me on deads.

starting strength coach development program
    Me too, but I'm a pussy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast