starting strength gym

Thread: Which Medium/ Light Pulls?

Default Which Medium/ Light Pulls?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Andy,

I'm having some good success with HLM for squats, bench, and press. However, my deadlift is stuck. I had only been pulling 1x/ week due to time constraints. Now I'm adding the medium and light pulling days back in the mix. My current 5rm deadlift is 430 set about a month ago, and my clean 1rm is 265, done last week.

With that in mind, do you think I can get away with power cleaning 2x/ week (once heavy and once with a 5% offset), or would I be better off using SLDL for my medium pull?

How old are you? Sounds like you have a decent clean that might actually help your deadlift. Try both set ups and see what you like better. You don't have to commit to one or the other for the long term.

I'm 31. I'll give'em both a shot. Maybe even just rotate the medium day every week or something like that. Thanks Andy!

Andy - is there a rough % of deadlift weight where you think cleans are beneficial? Put differently, if your clean is below a certain point do you still feel like they're helpful (even for reasons other than helping DL).

I'd say around 50%. For a 500 lb Deadlift, I think strict sets of cleans with 250+ would be helpful. I do not think sets of 185 would be.