starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift help

Default Deadlift help

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys,

I've recently been unable to setup after ive completed a rep on the deadlift. When i set up my form feels fine (and looks fine from what i can see), but trying to pull again after a rep the barbell pulls away from my shins as i push through the floor. Ive been stronger than this before so i find it slightly unusual. Here's the video: http://youtu.be/zHETfcM5jOg
    you can see on the third rep i start to pull but i can feel the bar pulling away from me. I can do this for a pretty easy set of 5 (or could do if my form wasn't messed up).

Thanks guys!

No reason to not keep pulling just because the bar is a little in front of you, finish the training.

No, it's not ideal, Yes, it feels heavier, but how are you going to learn to pull back on the bar with your lats if you never get it going?

Not enough information here, are you on your toes? Meaning, is the weight of your body evenly distributed throughout your foot or are you on your toes slightly? I can't walk around you, so I can't be sure, but some need to rock back EVER SO SLIGHTLY after set up, to get properly balanced across the midfoot. You might give this a shot on the next training day.

There is nothing particularly UNSAFE about the bar being a little bit in front of the shins, its just harder that way. We strive for perfection, but rarely achieve it early on, and we always have a bad rep from time to time. If the back is flat, set hard, and there is no change in flexion of the spine, you won't die if the bar isn't smashed against the shins.

I promise.

I have been pulling through this but its getting progressively worse to the point where its swinging a good 3 inchs out infront of me and im unable to keep my back flat. I think rocking back was my problem, i think im way too far out infront of the bar. I had a light deadlift session the other day and was finding it feels loads better when i rock back, obviously i won't know until i pull heavy though. I'm going to repeat the weight because it still feels quite light and see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Just a follow up, wondered if anything else is wrong here? I can see im lowering my ass a bit but it feels a million times better now.

http://youtu.be/VfthJzM6fmQ

You're rocking back just a little bit too much, which is why your but is a little low. Keep working it...

Sorry another follow up, I might just palm this off as a bad session because my form felt and looked awful.

http://youtu.be/4NMgWgVLPrc

I noticed the bar is doing some weird wiggly thing in the bottom, i think the slight upper back round is because I'm naturally kyphotic but i could be wrong.

Thank you!

I just watched the most recent video in slow motion and i pull the bar until its over my toes at around knee height and then start pulling back on it?!? I don't think I've read about this or seen it.

starting strength coach development program
    Instead of squeezing your chest up, you rock back, lower your hips, and artificially raise your chest. When the pull starts, your body is pulled back into position by the weight of the bar. Because you never got your initial position correct, the shoulders are too far forward, and the bar is in front of you legs.

Meticulously go through the set up as described. Vertical shins 1" from the bar, when time comes to squeeze the chest up, FREEZE YOUR HIPS, and FIGHT to squeeze the chest up while pulling back on the bar with your lats to keep it in contact with your sweats.

Hope this helps.