starting strength gym

Thread: Pain from the bottom of the squat in the groin

Default Pain from the bottom of the squat in the groin

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Squatted 77.5kgx3x5 last training, felt a sharp pain on the inside of the medial part of my thigh, where leg meets pelvis. I noticed it on the first set, it grew in pain during the second and eventually I had to bail out of a squat for the first time ever because the pain was intense out of the hole. Loaded up 80kg today and had to bail of the first work set because the pain had returned, very sharp and noticeable but on the ascent. Should I I squat the Starr protocol?

http://www.osteoarthritisblog.com/wp...cle-group1.gif

From this diagram it seems like it's the abductor longus or the gracilis giving me pain, but like I said only at the bottom/ ascent portion.

I think I've had something similar to what you are describing. Feels like a muscle right under the crease of your butt cheek? Do you think you went too deep too quickly?

What seems to help me is some abductor stretches (google them) and working through it by squatting with great form. Keep thinking and working on "Knees Out." Roll around on a lacrosse ball too. Do a few light days if you feel you can stay at your current working weight but keep squatting. Time off did not help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cian View Post
    http://www.osteoarthritisblog.com/wp...cle-group1.gif

From this diagram it seems like it's the abductor longus or the gracilis giving me pain, but like I said only at the bottom/ ascent portion.
    Adductor longus, not abductor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    I think I've had something similar to what you are describing. Feels like a muscle right under the crease of your butt cheek? Do you think you went too deep too quickly?

What seems to help me is some abductor stretches (google them) and working through it by squatting with great form. Keep thinking and working on "Knees Out." Roll around on a lacrosse ball too. Do a few light days if you feel you can stay at your current working weight but keep squatting. Time off did not help me.
    Feels more like the inside of my quad, but I'll be back in the gym tomorrow so we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Adductor longus, not abductor.
    Thanks for that Adam

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cian View Post
    Squatted 77.5kgx3x5 last training, felt a sharp pain on the inside of the medial part of my thigh, where leg meets pelvis. I noticed it on the first set, it grew in pain during the second and eventually I had to bail out of a squat for the first time ever because the pain was intense out of the hole. Loaded up 80kg today and had to bail of the first work set because the pain had returned, very sharp and noticeable but on the ascent. Should I I squat the Starr protocol?
    I know exactly what you’re taking about. When I first started lifting I had this problem. I was afraid it was a hernia. Try opening your stance some to give your body a hole to move into, knees out. I took off my belt too. It worked for me.

After a while, it went away. It was probably bad form. Hope this helps.