starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squat shoulder pain - solution - DIY bar handles

Default squat shoulder pain - solution - DIY bar handles

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Low bar squat shoulder pain
    I am a 56 yo SS novice with significant shoulder immobility issues. Despite some great coaching, and even with a wrist wrap and bent wrist grip, low bar squatting was painful, my grip was extremely wide, I had trouble lifting my elbows to form a shelf, and I could barely concentrate on squat form because of the pain and contortions. I was near having to abandon the low bar squat because of my shoulders.

Solution: DIY bar handles
    I came up with a do-it-yourself solution that is very inexpensive, and has solved all the above problems: bar handles made of rope and PVC pipe (instructions below).

The handles move my grip to about 3" forward of where it was when on the bar. Everything else in the squat is the same.

I used the handles yesterday, for a full work set, and it was a night and day improvement. No pain at all, and the bar felt perfectly secure on my back, way more so than before.

The solution was inspired by the following reddit thread, as well as Adam's Skillin's suggestion that using straps would be risky, and that Hookers Handles might work:

I have not tried the Hookers Handles, but the advantages of the rope and pipe handles are:
    • $15 versus $90
    • distance from the bar is adjustable. To me, this is important, so you can find your personal sweet spot, and especially if you want to gradually wean yourself from the handles. From photos, the Hookers seem to be quite a distance from the bar.
    • the rope is a little flexible, which reduces wrist flexion if using a wide grip.

Videos

Here is a video slideshow of the handles:

Here is a video showing me doing a warm-up set with them. The bar on my back is in a healthy low bar position, woohoo. (They also performed well during a real work set. I just forgot my video camera yesterday.)

Instructions

To make the handles, I used the following (total cost about $15):

After cutting the rope, put each frayed end over a flame to melt the frays together.

Cut the pipe into two 4.5" lengths. If you have wide hands you might want a little longer. Before cutting, test to see how long you need by gripping the pipe. Make sure you can see a little bit of pipe on each side of your grip.

Slip the rope through the pipe, and use a correct square knot to make a loop. A square knot is adjustable, yet secure under load.

Put the handle on the bar so that the knot will lay on the bar, as shown in my slide show. Adjust the knot to make the handle pretty close to the bar, and comfortable for you. Having it close gives a very stable grip. But, you don't want it so close you can't get it off the bar without re-adjusting the knot.

When, after experimenting, you finalize the size loop you want, tighten the knot very tight and put the wire ties around it, as shown in on the handles in the slide show above. This will prevent the knot from un-adjusting.

Caution: if any of you give this a try, please allow yourself the time to get a feel for the handles and tinker with the adjustments. Start out carefully with light weights, and wait until you have a proven confidence in them before moving to heavier weights.

Steve
    Last edited by sfischer; 02-03-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Great that you're sharing this. I've had several people come to me for training wondering how to low-bar with shoulder issues that preclude gripping the bar as we recommend. Hope they continue to help you get strong, sir!

Great inovation, I will surely make a pair for myself, I should be easier to get a tight back with those than the top squat device.

Update:

I have continued to use these handles with success, as I have climbed through my novice period. They have saved my low bar squat.

A few other guys who have made them, and are happy with them.

Also, I recently observed them used for squats of 315lb, with no issues.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sfischer View Post
    Update:

I have continued to use these handles with success, as I have climbed through my novice period. They have saved my low bar squat.

A few other guys who have made them, and are happy with them.

Also, I recently observed them used for squats of 315lb, with no issues.

Steve
    I was the one who used them for 315, just as a test. Didn't die.

I have the Hooker Handles and I think I like them. The reason I say think is that I've only used them a couple of times due to back issues that I had previously I'm trying to heal on before I go back to strength training.

My confidence just isn't' that high yet with them as it sure is a different position for locking the bar into place but I also know my shoulder just can't take the normal position. In fact I go in for an MRI tomorrow to see what's going on in there.

What are "Hooker Handles" and where can I get them?

Do you think these will help relieve elbow tendonitis pain that idiots like me get, because we can't seem to squat properly ? Apparently I take some of the weight on my wrists.

starting strength coach development program
    I think it would help a lot. One thing I have noticed is they don't fit every bar. I work out at my local Y (am thinking about equipping my garage so I can rest more between sets) there is one bar that the hooks go over all the way, one bar where they go over part of the way and that still works fine and then one bar it simply won't work on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast