starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you guys use a lift off for every set on the bench press?

Default Do you guys use a lift off for every set on the bench press?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I never liked asking for a spot because most people would always mess up the set at the slightest hint of the bar speed slowing down. But lately I'd feel a lot of left elbow pain on my worksets (and final warmup single) on unracking all the way until the end of the first rep. Afterwards it wouldn't hurt as much.

I asked for a lift-off for my worksets the last session and it was definitely much better. But it's really annoying to have to ask for a lift-off for every set, especially for the heavier final warm-up single. Not to mention I gotta put my belt on, wrist wraps, and chalk and all.

I just don't understand how all those other gym goers bench so much weight with pretty crappy form, unracking it by themselves like it's nothing. You know, the guys that quarter squat (or don't squat or do legs), but have big benches.

Quote Originally Posted by pyaarawala View Post
    I just don't understand how all those other gym goers bench so much weight with pretty crappy form, unracking it by themselves like it's nothing. You know, the guys that quarter squat (or don't squat or do legs), but have big benches.
    These seem like two different lifters. Most bench bros dont go to the squat rack for anything other than barbell curls.

I am usually the only on in my gym at the time of night that I'm there. I rarely get a lift off.

[QUOTE=pyaarawala;1054026]I never liked asking for a spot because most people would always mess up the set at the slightest hint of the bar speed slowing down. But lately I'd feel a lot of left elbow pain on my worksets (and final warmup single) on unracking all the way until the end of the first rep. Afterwards it wouldn't hurt as much.

I asked for a lift-off for my worksets the last session and it was definitely much better. But it's really annoying to have to ask for a lift-off for every set, especially for the heavier final warm-up single. Not to mention I gotta put my belt on, wrist wraps, and chalk and all.

I just don't understand how all those other gym goers bench so much weight with pretty crappy form, unracking it by themselves like it's nothing. You know, the guys that quarter squat (or don't squat or do legs), but have big benches.[/QUOTE]

I use this method to unrack if I am solo. It works. Skip to 7:50 if my link doesn't do it.

I see no link.

About 80% of 1 rm or higher, I prefer lift off. Only have so much energy, want to use it on the lift.

I train alone. Never get a lift off.

If my friends are around I ask for lift offs for everything I can

I ask for a lift-off for my last warm-up set or two and my work-sets, when I can get one. It's better in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    I see no link.
    Are you on mobile? It's embedded.

starting strength coach development program
    I try to get a lift off when I can. I do't mind doing my lighter volume work solo, but a good hand-off is nice when going heavy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast