starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is SS for me?

Default Is SS for me?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,

I have been recovering from multiple injuries related to weight lifting and MMA, with an emphasis on Muay Thai. The injury list is as follows: ligament fraying to the medial ligaments in both elbows, left shoulder impingement, had 2 wrist surgeries from impact damage from punching, scar tissue build up in both ankles, some patella tracking issues(no biggie), and some other minor ones, such as tendonitis.

The shoulder impingement is feeling much better after a couple weeks of resistance exercises outlined by the PT, the wrists are as good as they are going to get, the ankles are fine now and were just due to kicking things too much, patella tracking complaints are for sissies who just need to get some movement back in them joints, and the elbows are really my major problem, but I have spent about 2 years doing therapy to help them recover without making them fray more while trying to add a better base for the existing ligaments. I finally feel healed up enough to start training again. It took 2 years because my doctor-not my PT- had me stay stagnant for almost 8 months, so I had some muscle atrophy and really that is what I have had trouble combating and progressing at slow enough of a pace without creating tons of small injuries. My long term goal is to go for Navy SEALs, but the 6 month program outlined for BUD's prep doesn't have much strength training and I am not certain it will strengthen my joints enough prior to BUD's. My plan is to do SS for 3-4 months to get my strength back up and strengthen my joints, while adding push ups and pull ups on the lifting days and running and swimming on the off days.Then start the 6 month SEAL prep program and enlist-which after talking to the recruiter is a 6 month wait, so this timing is excellent. I have not finished the book, I am almost through all of it, and I have briefly explained the the rep range and what I knew of the program to my PT and he thought it sounded like a decent plan to execute. What are your thoughts on my plan and about power lifting being a good idea to strengthen my ligaments and joints?

Thank you,

Mcintosh

I really don't have time for this, but here goes:

Quote Originally Posted by Mcintosh View Post
    I have been recovering from multiple injuries related to weight lifting and MMA, with an emphasis on Muay Thai. The injury list is as follows: ligament fraying to the medial ligaments in both elbows, left shoulder impingement, had 2 wrist surgeries from impact damage from punching, scar tissue build up in both ankles, some patella tracking issues(no biggie), and some other minor ones, such as tendonitis.
    You must be a very bad man.

The shoulder impingement is feeling much better after a couple weeks of resistance exercises outlined by the PT
    You shoulders just healed a little, like they would have done during a layoff. Nothing a Physical Therapist typically prescribes is sufficiently stressful to produce a positive adaptation.

the wrists are as good as they are going to get, the ankles are fine now and were just due to kicking things too much
    Good news!

patella tracking complaints are for sissies who just need to get some movement back in them joints
    Patellar tracking issues are fictional diagnoses from PTs. There is no such thing. The PT told you about your mal-tracking patellas, right?

and the elbows are really my major problem, but I have spent about 2 years doing therapy to help them recover without making them fray more while trying to add a better base for the existing ligaments. I finally feel healed up enough to start training again.
    How do you know they are "frayed"? Like a rope? With little strings of tendon-shit hanging off? Was this diagnosed with an MRI? What did the radiology report say? Or did the PT just tell you this too?

It took 2 years because my doctor - not my PT - had me stay stagnant for almost 8 months, so I had some muscle atrophy and really that is what I have had trouble combating and progressing at slow enough of a pace without creating tons of small injuries.
    Actually, what happened was that you allowed the doctor to talk you into an 8-month layoff that you really should have known wasn't going to help. Because injuries only heal if you make them heal during active rehab.

My long term goal is to go for Navy SEALs, but the 6 month program outlined for BUD's prep doesn't have much strength training and I am not certain it will strengthen my joints enough prior to BUD's.
    The 6-month program outlined for BUDs prep doesn't assume you're starting out injured. And if you get re-injured after you somehow get in, do you think they will put you on an 8-month layoff, like the PT did? I suspect that you're going to have to develop a different mindset regarding your injury situation.

My plan is to do SS for 3-4 months to get my strength back up and strengthen my joints, while adding push ups and pull ups on the lifting days and running and swimming on the off days.
    In other words, your plan is to not do the program, while expecting the program to work.

Then start the 6 month SEAL prep program and enlist-which after talking to the recruiter is a 6 month wait, so this timing is excellent.
    During which time you will lose most of the strength gains you have managed to make during your time spent not doing the program, because you didn't do the program correctly in the first place and then compounded the problem by doing a bunch of high-intensity glycolytic CrossFit thrashing around in the air, which always destroys strength and muscle mass gains.

I have not finished the book,
    No shit?

I am almost through all of it, and I have briefly explained the the rep range and what I knew of the program to my PT and he thought it sounded like a decent plan to execute.
    I'll bet he was giddy with excitement.

What are your thoughts on my plan and about power lifting being a good idea to strengthen my ligaments and joints?
    Power lifting??? Where did that come from? Son, you have a lot of homework to do on this board. Start at the beginning of the Q&A, all the way back in 2007, and read forward. Read everything that looks relevant. Then read the comments threads on all the military articles in the archives, after you've read the articles. If this is too monumental a task, you'll never be a SEAL anyway. Your intentions are good, but you have not prepared either physically or educationally. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your intentions are good, but you have not prepared either physically or educationally. We'll see what happens.
    Read You Must and Learn You May......

Rip, you are such an a-hole.

But, I find it hilarious.

I didn't think you could just enlist in the SEALS. Don't you just enlist in the Navy and then maybe after a bunch of other stuff can maybe try out for SEALS? I think this guy is going to end up swabbing decks (if they still do that)

The testimonials section is also good. There are many people who were in your position, OP, who found that they felt a lot better after doing the program.

Kyle Schuant Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    I think this guy is going to end up swabbing decks (if they still do that)
    I don't think his knees could handle it at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    I think this guy is going to end up swabbing decks (if they still do that)
    Yes we still swab decks. And chip paint, clean generators, peel potatoes ....

When you enlist, you have a targeted career field based on your entrance exam score(s), personal desires, and needs of the Navy (#1 criteria btw). I've known SEALS that have taken the path you described, and ones that have done straight to BUDS. In either case, I believe Rip's assessment of preparation issues is on point here.

If all those injuries are legitimate, SEALs, and maybe the military as a whole, might be out of the question. Hell, when I joined the Corps the MEPS station gave me a bunch of crap for a broken wrist that didn't require surgery when I was eight. That was over a decade ago, though...things might have changed.

starting strength coach development program
    You're an amazing salesman Rip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast