starting strength gym

Thread: Certification for Master's Degree

Default Certification for Master's Degree

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

I search and found similar threads, but they were about getting a coaching spot. I'm planning on starting a master's degree in kinesiology. Due to my job, this will have to be entirely or almost entirely through online courses. The requirements obviously vary by school, but some include a similar criteria to that below. This one happens to be from ATSU.

Quote Originally Posted by ATSU
    Candidates must be a health, wellness, sport, or fitness professional with at least two years of professional experience or be a licensed or certified fitness / personal training professional with an NCCA accredited certification (ACE, ACSM, IFPA, NASM, NCSF, NESTA, NFPT, NSCA, Cooper Institute) , or healthcare professional (ATC, PT, DC, OT, PA, RN, RD, etc.).

(From http://www.atsu.edu/master-of-scienc...siology-degree)
    Since I do not, in fact, have two years of professional experience in the field, it looks like I'll have to get a certification, whether I want it or not. Since yours is not included in the accepted certs, that is unfortunately not an option, though I do plan on getting it regardless.

I know you've dropped your NSCA credential, but for this purpose, is that what you'd recommend? Or is one of the others a better option in this situation? I'm only somewhat familiar with roughly half of them.

Since I'm asking, do you by any chance have any recommendations on a particular college?

I have no college recommendations. Get the easiest certification, since they're all shit anyway.

Last time I checked the ACSM HFS was the cheapest and docs love it (for referrals). No one gives a crap about the NSCA unless you want to be a D1 coach- then you'll need CSCS and later, a CSCC. Since they all, AND I DO MEAN ALL, suck- get the cheapest one. There's one book you need to pass the exam: ACSM Exercise Testing and Prescription.

AT Still is a good school. I did my anatomy course in undergrad there. Kinesiology professors were good too.

Copy. Thanks for reading.

Don't suppose anyone's got any recommendations for the UK courses?

starting strength coach development program
    ISSA can be done in a weekend.