starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat and foot position

Default Squat and foot position

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    The concept of having the feet pointing out at a 30 degree angle during the squat seems counterintuitive to the direction of travel in athletics. In SS it is mentioned that having your feet pointing too forward limits your ability to squat full depth. But if you are training for sport, would you not want to engage/orientate your muscles in the direction in which you intend to use them?

You are training for strength, not "sport" when you squat. Strength then applies to "sport" as a general adaptation. So, you squat the best way to squat, so that the squat can make you a stronger "sportman".

Undestood, but I'll provide this for thought. Duncan Keith of the Chicago Blackhawks (since 2010, two Olympic Gold medals, two Stanley Cup Championships and twice awarded best defenseman) has been instructed by his trainer to squat with his feet pointed forward. Should there be no noticeable difference in athletic performance based on foot angulation during the squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse Hopkins View Post
    The concept of having the feet pointing out at a 30 degree angle during the squat seems counterintuitive to the direction of travel in athletics. In SS it is mentioned that having your feet pointing too forward limits your ability to squat full depth. But if you are training for sport, would you not want to engage/orientate your muscles in the direction in which you intend to use them?
    Do your feet point straight forward? Mine don't.

Nice try, Kelly Starrett.

Undestood, but I'll provide this for thought. Duncan Keith of the Chicago Blackhawks (since 2010, two Olympic Gold medals, two Stanley Cup Championships and twice awarded best defenseman) has been instructed by his trainer to squat with his feet pointed forward. Should there be no noticeable difference in athletic performance based on foot angulation during the squat?
    Duncan Keith has been instructed incorrectly. This happens frequently, especially when the guy doing the instructing is a D1 or pro-level S&C coach, who will look like he knows what he's doing no matter what methods he uses.

Quote Originally Posted by FlossOrDie View Post
    Nice try, Kelly Starrett.
    Who the fuck is Kelly Starrett?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomka View Post
    Do your feet point straight forward? Mine don't.
    Yes

Even if the argument for squatting with your feet forward was correct this still wouldn't make sense for a hockey player. You skate by angling your feet out and pushing off the ice. If you tried to skate with your feet perfectly forwards you'd fall over instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Even if the argument for squatting with your feet forward was correct this still wouldn't make sense for a hockey player. You skate by angling your feet out and pushing off the ice. If you tried to skate with your feet perfectly forwards you'd fall over instantly.
    I'm well aware of that, but every video I've seen of an elite player has them squatting with toes forward. Thus the confusion.

starting strength coach development program
    So, here's your task. Read our analysis of the squat, read their analysis of the squat, and decide whose argument makes better sense to you. I submit that the fact that every elite player has a S&C coach without an analysis but several videos is not a compelling argument.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast