starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You low bar? Guess you're never going to front squat much...

Default You low bar? Guess you're never going to front squat much...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My baseball team front squatted for the first time today. As a team, my guys low bar back squat and I wanted to try front squating on the light day of the week for this phase. So far I'm yet to see any of them have lousy front squat mechanics due to hip drive, leaning forward, etc. Truth be told, they all look pretty good.

The team did 3x3 at a moderately heavy weight, but I had this one guy work up to a heavier weight just to see if his front squat form broke down. He has never in his life done a front squat. I got him as a true freshmen out of high school last year (never had been in a weight room before), and he only did LBBS with me on a linear progression until now. Here he is doing a front squat at 225lb:

http://youtu.be/PuKfHEZ42WE

He definitely has more in the tank for a heavy set of 3, but I thought that this was heavy enough to see whether he would use hip drive or not in this set (I'm also not going to load up one of my athletes to a max set in their first time doing an exercise...sorry internet). Looked pretty good to me. I know I coach some great athletes at the Division I level, but I still am yet to see the LBBS screw up people's front squat (and clean recovery). Just sayin'.

Yes, the idea that strength ruins a front squat is rather odd. But I'm glad you're dealing with these people now, so I don't have to. It's the Lord's Work, and I'm not worthy.

Eh. There is a stronger correlation between high-bar and front squat than low-bar and front squat. I've known people to back squat less than me but front squat more. Then again, I'm not all that coordinated and tend to mimic the low-bar position, which lets the bar go forward.

If I really cared about my front squat I would do it more and get better at keeping upright. Unless the front squat portion of the clean is the limiting factor, I don't think it matters that much. Assuming adequate technique, you can generally front squat any weight you can pull high enough to catch.

Anyhow, I'll keep low-barring to drive overall strength. It's also easier on my knees.

For what it's worth, I've front squatted 405, enough though the technique was bad and I was bearing a lot of the weight on my arms.

I dont think any squat correlation is really coming into question. I was just offering another piece of evidence for the LBBS not throwing off the mechanics of a front squat. Your experience might be different Sean. I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom DiStasio View Post
    I was just offering another piece of evidence for the LBBS not throwing off the mechanics of a front squat. Your experience might be different Sean. I'm not sure.
    From the experience of myself and a few people I've worked with, I'm of the opinion that it does, but only to a negligible extent. If someone is actually trying to be competitive in the Olympic lifts, or even just wants to front squat a lot, they'll practice it more, and it won't be an issue.

For my own part, I'm not very good at keeping related movements separated. In college I had to switch back to the glide, instead of the spin, for shot put. The discus ring is 2.5m (8' 2.5") and the shot ring is only 7' across. I couldn't keep the movements separate, so I kept stepping out the front or on the toe-board for shot.

Other people have no problem (see John Godina's shot put and discus), and I don't think they'd have a problem keeping front squat and back squat separate either. Looks like your guy is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    If someone is actually trying to be competitive in the Olympic lifts, or even just wants to front squat a lot, they'll practice it more, and it won't be an issue.
    I think this is the biggest part of it.

Derek Kendall is a 1000 lb raw w/wraps low bar squatter who front squatted (unambiguously to depth) 800 lbs in the gym. To the degree that this piece of information can change minds, it might be useful to throw out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I think this is the biggest part of it.
    The first time I tried to front squat, it felt pretty weird and I made a mess of it. But, pretty quickly with actual practice, I was able to front squat pretty decently. Weird that, a new lift takes actual practice to master and I'm not automatically good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Onsager View Post
    Derek Kendall is a 1000 lb raw w/wraps low bar squatter who front squatted (unambiguously to depth) 800 lbs in the gym. To the degree that this piece of information can change minds, it might be useful to throw out.
    The heaviest front squat ever recorded on video as far as I know. Also worth noting it was done in neoprene knee sleeves, no wraps. I think everyone should watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FH-TAiKacM

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    The heaviest front squat ever recorded on video as far as I know. Also worth noting it was done in neoprene knee sleeves, no wraps. I think everyone should watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FH-TAiKacM
    Jesus, that didn't even look that hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast