starting strength gym

Thread: squats and DL after L4/L5 disk issue

Default squats and DL after L4/L5 disk issue

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

Thanks for your contributions to strength training. I have just recently found SS books and this site, so this is all fairly new.

A little background: I am a 39 year old male, 6'0 175 lbs. I lifted weights in high school and college, and then had a 15 year hiatus until 2013, until I got back into lifting and discovered Stronglifts (which I gather borrows heavily from your ideas....). I started doing squats, bench, rows, press, and the DL, which was a new movement to me. I injured by back (with poor form) on the deadlift in June 2013, with 165 on the bar.

I knew I tweaked something in my back, and suffered from bound up muscles in the area of the QL and thereabouts. I tried to release the muscles with rolling and various stretches, but it wasn't helping much. About a month later, I went to my sister in law's cabin, (Physical Therapist) who helped me release the QL. I then kayaked for several hours. That evening, and for about a week or so afterwards, I had significant sciatic nerve pain (a new experience).

I went to a PT here in town, who helped correct a pelvic rotation and get back most of my range of motion. She thought I had a L4/L5 disk issue but no MRI was taken. My back was definitely better - sciatic nerve pain was gone after a few weeks, and I had most of the range of motion back.

I got back into lifting slowly in the spring of 2014. I have worked up to 225 max squat, and 255 max DL (much more careful about lower back positioning). No weight belt. I haven't really noticed any ill effects on the back from this lifting, other than a bit of fatigue by the end of the workout. I have visited a chiropractor this fall, just to check things out. My disk was still a bit sore when he pushed on it during the exam. He thought my back looked pretty good overall.

I am wondering whether I ought to continue squats and deadlifts, with the past disk problem. My suspicion is that strengthening the back thru good posture, and properly performed squats and deadlifts is the best medicine for the future, but don't know for sure. The chiropractor seemed a bit uncertain on the question--I don't think he has seen many adults performing powerlifting movements before.

What do you think, off the cuff? Also, are there other movements to be careful with in the future? I haven't learned the power clean yet --sticking with your novice program for the moment. I figured that will come in time,

Re: poundages: they are in Lbs, unfortunately.

Thanks for the reference. After reading that, it is apparent I have not been doing the program, falling in the <10% bodyfat camp. I didn't point out earlier, but SS is new to me, after using a similar exercise program. I will read the book and take it more to heart.

I guess I was curious if there was some broad-brush discouragement on these movements for someone with disk issues, with the long-term picture in mind. However, through use of the search function, I found a number of threads on disk issues. They have helped to reinforce my suspicion: strengthening the back through use of the program is probably a better course than avoiding lifting due to concerns about re-injury....