starting strength gym

Thread: Strength programme along side field sport training

Default Strength programme along side field sport training

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark,
    I'm a 28 year old man from Ireland. I play two field sports in Ireland, hurling(not vomitting) and gaelic football. Both of these are indigenous Irish sports.

The physical requirements for both these sports would be a cross between soccer and rugby or Australian rules. As these are completely amateur sports I must try to fit in field training, strength work and games into my evenings and weekends. I would be very grateful if you could provide a small bit of guidance to me.

I train on the field with my team Tuesdays and Thursdays with games on Saturdays (mostly). These sessions are very run heavy and skills based. Duration of between 80 to 120 minutes. Would you advise that I complete your starting strenght programme on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays? Is strength training the day before a game advisable? Should I maintain full programme throughout the season? The season is geared towards the "championship" in Fall so would it be advisable to reduce strength sessions to increase rest periods? Whilst commitment is very high it is very much an amateur operation and I've never received any consistent advice.

I injured my hamstring in field training last year. That injury lasted all season with different physios talking about different imbalances. I do have some noticable lordosis and thoracic kyphosis although not chronic by any means. I have been told that this has resulted in overuse of hamstrings and told to foam role/stretch etc. This has not really helped and is very boring. Absent of any physical abnormalities should your starting strength programme correct these postural issues?

I know the information I provided is very limited but its difficult to find strength coaches, especially near me, who agree with your no bullshit strength is paramount to improved performance mantra. Any advice you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your content provided online.