starting strength gym

Thread: Form check: squat

Default Form check: squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    As an attendee at the September Brooklyn Seminar, I was invited to use the website. Therefore, I am posting a squat video.
    Does anything jump out at anyone? I was having dull left femur area pain immediately after squatting that week, but that seems resolved. Does anything form wise seem obvious which may have contributed to the pain?
    This was the 2nd backoff set at 345 pounds for 5, the third set overall. It looks a little high, is anything else apparent?
    Thank you in advance.
    squat 345x5

Your stance is too wide, your toes turned out too far, you are lifting your chest along with you chin, and twisting a little on your ascent. As you mention, you need to go a little deeper, too. "A dull left femur pain" is very vague, so I cannot help with that. However, I can say that the spinal overextension caused by lifting your chest, coupled with the twist you do worries me a little. So, what to do?

Narrow your stance about two inches. You want shoulder width. Point your toes out a little less. Keep your chin down. Think of keeping your head out of the lift. Drive up with your hips. The whole way. Not just out of the bottom, but all the way to the top. Go deeper. All this will probably require taking a couple of pounds off the bar, maybe 10 or 20. A narrower stance, less overextension, and staying with your hips may help your twist. We shall see.

Thank you for the response. I will do those things and see what it becomes of the form.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Your stance is too wide, your toes turned out too far, you are lifting your chest along with you chin, and twisting a little on your ascent.
    Mr. Campitelli,

You nailed it on the stance and toes. I squatted Friday and today for working sets of 325 and 330 pounds respectively, and the left hip/leg pain is gone. I must have been impinging hip and femur on the left side from being too wide/open. Squats felt back to normal , hip drive was better, was leading less with the chest, back wasn't as extended, and neck was neutral. The squats felt like they did at the seminar. Form creep does occur and it can get away from a person before they know it without another set of eyes. Thank you very much. I would've paid something for that, the fact that it is done without charge is generous and much appreciated.

This pleases me. Good work.