starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Firstly sorry, in my previous post I included more than one video, will avoid in future.

I'm 20M, 5' 5" and ~54kg. I'm 3 weeks into starting strength, and I was meant to be moving onto a 60kg squat but I've been feeling strain in my lower back lately and wanted to make sure my form is okay, so I've switched down to 50kg.

squat 50kg 45 degree - YouTube

The only other issue I'm having (which I'm going to see a doctor about) is due to some asymmetry (I think my legs are asymmetric in shape due to bowing), I'm getting strain in my left knee, just above the kneecap. It hurts slightly the day of the squats and the day after (but really only minor). The other sympton is if the knee is kept bent (i.e sitting) for 30mins+ then when I get up I get weird feelings in the tissue around the kneecap (not pain or discomfort, just weird).

I would really appreciate any tips on improving my squat and potential causes for the lower back strain (tightness), also if you have any idea about my left knee that would be great.

Thanks!

1) No hip drive - drive hips up out of the bottom.
    2) Knees to far forward. Knees should be over the toes (and that's it) by about halfway down and then stop there.
    3) Bend over more
    4) Too deep by about two inches
    5) Eat far more that you are eating now.

As far as you knee goes, until you have some sort of information of diagnosis I'd just be guessing. But bending over more, and keeping your knees further back, and squatting to the correct depth will most likely help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    2) Knees to far forward. Knees should be over the toes (and that's it) by about halfway down and then stop there.
    3) Bend over more

As far as you knee goes, until you have some sort of information of diagnosis I'd just be guessing. But bending over more, and keeping your knees further back, and squatting to the correct depth will most likely help.
    Hey, thanks very much for the reply.

I will try and get another video asap, but just a couple queries about the corrections:
    - On a bodyweight squat I can feel a big difference keeping my knees from going back (loading the hamstrings) but with weight I can't seem to achieve the same kind of effect, would this be due to a different back angle?

- Regarding the hip drive, I'm trying to engage it but with the weight I seem to just get a bit stuck in the hole (no kind of bounce), should I be reducing weight to learn this hip driving properly?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    3) Bend over more

Hello, I'm hoping my prior replies were ignored due to lack of video, which I can now provide : squat 57 5 better - YouTube

2) I am trying to keep the knees back (the squat definitely feels different), but they don't seem to stay put. I can say that my lower back strain is greatly reduced though. 1) I'm trying to apply the hip drive but struggling I suppose, I think maybe I need to practice more with lower weights

4) Could I ask you to assess the depth in this new set though? I'm not getting it right every time resulting in some too low and some too high. I think : good, bit high, good, good, bit low. Let me know if these estimates are completely wrong (in which case I need to reassess).

5) I am currently eating a decent surplus, and have gained roughly 3kg in 4 weeks (which I'm pretty happy with). I guess I could up it though.

Thanks.

Pretty much all of Steve's advice from his previous post still applies. I cannot say much about depth from a video taken so close to you from a standing position. Please read the sticky to help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Pretty much all of Steve's advice from his previous post still applies. I cannot say much about depth from a video taken so close to you from a standing position. Please read the sticky to help with that.
    Hi Tom,

I've recorded a set at 40kg (very easy for me)
    40kg squat - YouTube

is this form any better than in prior videos? I'm really struggling with the 'hip drive', as even in the prior videos I was trying to do so.

Is there anything present in the form here that you think could lead to knee pain (just below the kneecap at the top), which I'm getting after sitting down for a while then getting up (walking).

Thanks

As with before, it is very difficult for me to judge depth with video filmed from a standing position. I suspect you are a little above parallel. How to shoot better video is detailed in the sticky. Please read it. Hell, since I've already requested that and it hasn't been done, I will get more specific. Get your training partner to hold the camera at about hip height, or a little lower. Have them stay still and shoot from the rear oblique.

There is nothing dangerous about your squat, but it doesn't look much different either. I am not sure why you dropped to 40 kg. Exaggerate the idea that the hips lead on the way up. Make it feel like your hips move up first. Keep pushing up with your sacrum all the way to the top. Drive your knees out more. Cannot say for sure about the knee pain. Let's see if leading with your hips, eating plenty of good food, and maybe stretching your quads and hamstrings help.

There is nothing injurious about your squats

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    As with before, it is very difficult for me to judge depth with video filmed from a standing position. I suspect you are a little above parallel. How to shoot better video is detailed in the sticky. Please read it. Hell, since I've already requested that and it hasn't been done, I will get more specific. Get your training partner to hold the camera at about hip height, or a little lower. Have them stay still and shoot from the rear oblique.

There is nothing dangerous about your squat, but it doesn't look much different either. I am not sure why you dropped to 40 kg. Exaggerate the idea that the hips lead on the way up. Make it feel like your hips move up first. Keep pushing up with your sacrum all the way to the top. Drive your knees out more. Cannot say for sure about the knee pain. Let's see if leading with your hips, eating plenty of good food, and maybe stretching your quads and hamstrings help.

There is nothing injurious about your squats
    Hi, sorry about the video angles, I think I've got it better this time.

Squat 65kg x 5 - squat 65kg - YouTube

At first glance I thought these were a bit high, but pausing the video at the bottom I seem to be just about parallel?

Though the more important thing - I'm not sure these are great squats, my hips are moving forwards which I recall is not a good thing. For some reason this is what the queue to drive hips up is causing.

If you could provide the critique (sorry if its repetitive), it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Depth is ok here. However you're still not getting the hip drive - literally drive up with your sacrum, as Tom said. Don't lift your chest. Stay leaned over and drive your hips up the entire way. You'll figure out quickly when your torso angle needs to start becoming vertical, without having to think much about it.