starting strength gym

Thread: relearning the power clean

Default relearning the power clean

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach, my power clean is a mess. I have tried relearning it a couple of times according to the progression in SS but as soon as the weight goes up, it gets bad again. I am hitting my thigh too low, the bar is too far from my body (can't touch my chest on the way up if I try, and I normally end up reverse curling it into rack position), and an experienced lifter at my gym says that I am not shrugging my traps hard enough or early enough. When I rack the bar my hips will very often be forward. Occasionally I even bend my arms on the way up although I can usually prevent this if I focus on it. I have always been an uncoordinated bastard. It took me a long while to get the form right on the slow lifts, but since they are slow, I eventually got them.

Ordinarily, I would just do what I have done in the past and move to a lighter weight and try to relearn again. However, I will be starting the advanced novice program after my current reset and would therefore only be cleaning every other week, which I doubt is often enough to relearn a movement. Should I program in some more power cleans, and if so, how? Should I move all the way back down to an empty bar? (I can get up to 140 with shitty form). Or, should I just say "fuck it" and do barbell rows until you come up to NYC for a BB cert?

The good news is that we'll be in NYC in July. The bad news is that July is 6 months away. A video might help in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by naf7 View Post
    However, I will be starting the advanced novice program after my current reset and would therefore only be cleaning every other week, which I doubt is often enough to relearn a movement. Should I program in some more power cleans, and if so, how?
    In PPST it says you can practice lighter power cleans after you deadlift, making this a weekly exercise. That and aren't you cleaning for every set of an overhead press?

Hey Coach, that is great news, I want this to be my first cert. The NYC cert does not appear to be posted, can you provide us any details?

It's not posted yet because we only keep the next 6 up on the page. The dates are 7/18-19 at CFNYC: The Black Box. Should be on their website.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's not posted yet because we only keep the next 6 up on the page. The dates are 7/18-19 at CFNYC: The Black Box. Should be on their website.
    crap, I am going to be in Kauai for our annual vacation. This is the ONLY time I have ever regretted leaving Manhattan in July for Hawaii.