starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Stanton SSC: A Two-Self Case Study

Default Jordan Stanton SSC: A Two-Self Case Study

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

What the fuck. Crazy progress. Really impressive.

Absolute beasts!

Jordan is something more than human. What doesn't get illustrated in this article well enough is Jordan trains as hard as anyone, anywhere.

I am curious about the injuries mentioned in the article. I realize that although strength training with barbells is generally safe, any competition where one pushes oneself to the limit is going to have an injury risk. (Erin's injury isn't described but I assume it was related to competition or training for competition.) But herniating a disc during the platform exam? That's quite a bomb to drop and then not explain.

I have had the privilege to work with Jordan twice now that there is a (two really) SSC in Oregon. Great ability to coach and cue just right. Nothing less than I expect really, but great nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    I am curious about the injuries mentioned in the article. I realize that although strength training with barbells is generally safe, any competition where one pushes oneself to the limit is going to have an injury risk. (Erin's injury isn't described but I assume it was related to competition or training for competition.) But herniating a disc during the platform exam? That's quite a bomb to drop and then not explain.
    I don't mean to leave you hanging I promise. The back injury and recovery really does require its very own article. When you push the edges of your ability with a competition mindset, the risk/reward balance begins to shift. I tore two discs as a competitive strongman during the log press. I herniated the torn disc on the platform exam. It was compromised and ready to go. I spent three years rehabbing the injury to get to where I am now. The details of which at some point will be an article. Will Morris was a big part of the latest and most successful parts of my rehab.

My wife herniated two discs as well. Strongman is a rough sport. She was back to heavy lifting in 3 months. She is a freak.

Great Story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Stanton View Post
    I don't mean to leave you hanging I promise. The back injury and recovery really does require its very own article. When you push the edges of your ability with a competition mindset, the risk/reward balance begins to shift. I tore two discs as a competitive strongman during the log press. I herniated the torn disc on the platform exam. It was compromised and ready to go. I spent three years rehabbing the injury to get to where I am now. The details of which at some point will be an article. Will Morris was a big part of the latest and most successful parts of my rehab.

My wife herniated two discs as well. Strongman is a rough sport. She was back to heavy lifting in 3 months. She is a freak.
    Cool, thanks. Makes sense that both injuries were related to competition. For a guy like me who trains in part so that I won't hurt my back, without context it's worrisome to hear of someone hurting themselves doing these exercises (which are supposed to be safe if done correctly). Your achievements made me think "I want to be like those two," but the injuries made me think maybe I don't.

starting strength coach development program
    Tom, the recurring theme in your posting history is that you're terrified of "getting hurt." The bad news: You're going to "get hurt" at some point if you keep training and keep getting stronger. And as a human being, you are going to hurt your back at some point, and that is 100% certain. The good news: You can stop training now, and that way you'll know that you will never hurt your back while training. Do anything you can to reduce the level of fear in your life. That's my sincere advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast