starting strength gym

Thread: Chinups and rows on consecutive days

Default Chinups and rows on consecutive days

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I started doing a 4 day TM style program where VD and ID are split into upper and lower body days, so something like this:
    A: bench 5x5, chins, ohp
    B: squat 5x5, deadlift variation, rows
    rest
    rest
    C: bench 1x5, CGBP, chins
    D: squat, deadlift 1x5, rows

Question is, is doing chins then rows okay?
    And what is the general reasoning behind saying that chinups are a vertical pull and rows are a horizontal pull? Don't both of them train the entire back? Won't it be better to just drop the rows or do them on the same day as chinups?

It could work, depending how you program the two lifts in question, plus your other upper body movements. We also need to know your age, level of training advancement, current lifts and how many BW chins can you do. Assuming you are a late intermediate with a 500lb+ deadlift and you can do less than 15 BW chins, I would suggest the following.

Week 1:
    A: Bench 5x5, Seated DB Presses 3-5x10-12, Chins Max reps x 3
    B: Squat 5x5, SLDL 2-3x8-10, Pendlay Rows 3-5x10-12
    rest
    rest
    C: Bench 1x5, Lying Triceps Extension 3-5x10-12, Chins Max reps x 3
    D: Squat 1x5, Deadlift 1x5, Pendlay Rows 3-5x10-12

Week 2:
    A: Press 5x5, DB Bench 3-5x10-12, Chins Max reps x 3
    B: Squat 5x5, SLDL 2-3x8-10, Pendlay Rows 3-5x10-12
    rest
    rest
    C: Press 1x5, CGBP 3-5x10-12, Chins Max reps x 3
    D: Squat 1x5, Deadlift 1x5, Pendlay Rows 3-5x10-12

If or once you can do 15+ BW chins, switch to weighted chins for 3x5, and progress them like any of the 4 big lifts.

The whole "vertical pull" vs "horizontal pull" discussion comes from the bodybuilding world, where one way to program is by plans (think horz push, horz pull, etc...). You are correct in that both chins and rows hit similar muscle groups; that is why I would not program these two assistance movement on the same day.

Don't get too wraped on the assistance movements, for they are mostly interchangeable. The mainstay of this style of programming is the big lifts.
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 11-12-2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo

Adam, thank you for replying! Really appreciate this place.

Level: early intermediate probably
    Stats, lbs:
    squat 5x5x350
    bench 5x5x275
    deadlift - 1x8x395 (was dissuaded from doing them by a gym instructor, only recently picked them up, limited by lower back strength it seems - I can pull more, but can't keep my back straight)
    bw: 225
    #bw chins: 3x15 on a good day

I actually feel like I could still increase my squat on SS advanced novice but I fell in love with 5x5 squatting.

Now I'm thinking of doing the following:

A: Bench 5x5, weighted chins 5x5, OHP 3x8, maybe dumbbell flys?
    B: Squat 5x5, deadlifts 3x8 (for erector spinae strength), DB rows (I heard DB is better for grip strength) 3x12, weighted incline crunches and hyperextensions
    rest
    rest, bodyweight chinups
    C: bench, squat, ohp, DL 1x5, dumbbell rows 3x12, weighted incline crunches and hyperextensions

if u do them on consecutive days like that you will instantly die from over training