starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training while traveling

Default Training while traveling

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    As working professional I go through times of the year where I need to travel to see clients. I often try to find a gym in the area where I can do a drop in to stay on my sequence. However sometimes that's not possible. Now I know I can take a week off here and there and its not a big deal, but there are times where I have to travel for a few weeks to multiple cities consecutively and it really messes with my programming.

With that in mind, assume that I can't find a gym in the area (or can't make time), and all I have is the hotel work out room with dumbells up to 50 lbs and a bench. Now I know I can't train with this, but what can I do to stop, or at least lessen the de-training?

Upper body is fairly easy. Benches, inclines, and seated presses to failure. Bent over one arm rows with one knee on bench to failure. I can usually find somewhere to do chins. Anything else?

Lower body is a problem. I have NO clue if there is anything I can do to halt de-training. I mean I don't see how doing dumbell squats with 2x50 is going to do anything? Or am I wrong? Maybe goodmornings with a dumbell gripped to my chest? I've read maybe pistol squats but I've never them. Any ideas here?

Thanks

In my opinion if the hotel gym is the ONLY means you have to train then I would use it to the best of my ability. Of course it may not be the best situation possible but it allows you to do something rather than nothing. Andy might have some ideas for a routine to do in your travels if you ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by wmilas View Post
    As working professional I go through times of the year where I need to travel to see clients. I often try to find a gym in the area where I can do a drop in to stay on my sequence. However sometimes that's not possible. Now I know I can take a week off here and there and its not a big deal, but there are times where I have to travel for a few weeks to multiple cities consecutively and it really messes with my programming.

With that in mind, assume that I can't find a gym in the area (or can't make time), and all I have is the hotel work out room with dumbells up to 50 lbs and a bench. Now I know I can't train with this, but what can I do to stop, or at least lessen the de-training?

Upper body is fairly easy. Benches, inclines, and seated presses to failure. Bent over one arm rows with one knee on bench to failure. I can usually find somewhere to do chins. Anything else?

Lower body is a problem. I have NO clue if there is anything I can do to halt de-training. I mean I don't see how doing dumbell squats with 2x50 is going to do anything? Or am I wrong? Maybe goodmornings with a dumbell gripped to my chest? I've read maybe pistol squats but I've never them. Any ideas here?

Thanks
    I am in the same boat with my erratic travel schedule. The hotels I choose are equipped similar to yours. I haven't looked hard for gyms that will give me 1 week passes.

I've found finding gyms that do drop ins is a PITA. If you call a crossfit box and tell them you want a rack, plates, bar, and a bench and want to be left alone. The problem is very few of them will agree to it. For instance I'm going to be in Ft. Lauderdale beginning of the year and all the box gyms will only let me drop in for the WOD's. I don't want that. I just want to be left alone for 3 hours in a corner where I can do the big 5.

Quote Originally Posted by wmilas View Post
    I've found finding gyms that do drop ins is a PITA. If you call a crossfit box and tell them you want a rack, plates, bar, and a bench and want to be left alone. The problem is very few of them will agree to it. For instance I'm going to be in Ft. Lauderdale beginning of the year and all the box gyms will only let me drop in for the WOD's. I don't want that. I just want to be left alone for 3 hours in a corner where I can do the big 5.
    This is where you're messing up. There are thousands of gyms, all over the place with adequate equipment (in a pinch).

CrossFit is not a place to do a "drop-in", unless you are very well aware of the equipment and the ability to be left alone. More likely, you'll end being griped at by a "trainer" who attended a $1000 weekend seminar. Avoid CrossFit at all costs.

If you cannot find a gym where powerlifting is a focus - almost any globo-gym will do. 24 hour fitness, Gold's gym, etc. If there are bars and weights - you can have a workout. Even deadlifting with 12-sided plates is possible - it is a minor annoyance, but possible.

There are always ways to adapt your training. A few examples: If a gym doesn't allow chalk & has the typical once-knurled, smooth bars, use straps. Using straps for a session or four won't impact you negatively in the long run. Power racks - with one exception, every gym I've been in has had a power rack, or some kind of rack set-up. Use it.

If you are limited to a set of dumbbells up to 50lbs, there is a fuckton you can still do. Maybe do sets of 20 with both 50s (for squatting). Or do lunges with DBs in your hand (the 50s). Or use the bench provided and do "step-ups" until you can no longer lift your legs. Or overhead DB squats. Or, use the opportunity to do something different altogether. If you are in a hotel with at least 5-6 stories, run the stairs. It works even better if there are 10+ stories.

It isn't all THAT bad if you have to change a session or two. Just try to avoid changing them for multiple sessions in a row.

I've tried other places than crossfit (if I can't find a powerlifting gym) and invariably what happens is:

1) No Bumpers. Cleans and snatches a no go as I'm worried about missing. I guess I could just do lighter weights.
    2) No chalk. They yell at me if I bring my own.
    3) Some of these places freak out when I lift a bar over my head. WTF?
    4) Some dipshit is on my ass about squatting incorrectly. I've literally had a trainer yell at me and tell me not to come back as they do not want to be responsible for the injury I'm about to incur.
    5) People stare at me a lot. I know I shouldn't care but... its gets unnerving.

At least at a crossfit box most of this doesn't happen. Maybe I should give them a try again.

As far as the hotel gym, I like the idea about the lunges and REALLY like the idea about the stairs. I dunno why I never thought about that. That would probably work really well for a session or two.

As far as chalk goes, consider getting liquid chalk. Its not as good as the real stuff but its easy to conceal, doesn't leave much on the bar, and so on. I used it in a chalk unfriendly gym for like a year.

I've found CrossFit gyms to be very accommodating and friendly. Half the time they don't even charge a drop-in fee. They just leave me alone, sometimes give me a fist bump or something. You can make do with a Gold's/LA Fitness/24 Hour Fitness to prevent detraining, as mentioned by Chebass.

Anyway, more thoughts and discussion on this topic can be found here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...traveling.html
    Last edited by manveer; 11-23-2016 at 07:12 PM.

Anytime fitness almost always has a squat rack.
    Lifetime has bumpers.
    Powerlifting watch has a huge list of gyms.
    There is always a way to actually train. You might have to take a uber or rearrange your training week a bit.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Anytime fitness almost always has a squat rack.
    Lifetime has bumpers.
    Powerlifting watch has a huge list of gyms.
    There is always a way to actually train. You might have to take a uber or rearrange your training week a bit.
    Yep, the only time I've not found a way to barbell train on my various travels so far was in Costa Rica. You might not want to think too hard about how much one session just cost you, but if it's worth it to you, it's usually possible.

And I have learned to hold my own at any globe gym. I don't argue with anyone, I remember that I'll never see them again, and I just say that I'm going to do it "this" way, not there way.

And I'm going to guess there's a good chance I get more stares and comments than a lot of you guys. It just happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast