starting strength gym

Thread: Confused on spine of scapula

Default Confused on spine of scapula

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip. Hopefully this isn't too painfully stupid of a question, but I am noticing that my shoulder blade is getting a little bruised, and I think I am confused on what exactly the spine of the scapula is. Is there a cue or a specific place you can give for me to touch or reach just to get a feel for where it is? Sorry this is a stupid question.

It's IN THE BOOK.

Rip shows exactly where it is, in one of the videos related to squat. It's on the youtube thingy.

Why don't you guys try to help him instead of just saying "it's in the book". I completely agree that if you're lifting by yourself it's hard to indentify where the bar needs to go. Of course a coach on hand would be great but we can't all get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer1 View Post
    Why don't you guys try to help him instead of just saying "it's in the book". I completely agree that if you're lifting by yourself it's hard to indentify where the bar needs to go. Of course a coach on hand would be great but we can't all get one.
    Because he's not the first person to ask this in the decade this forum has been operational. Also, because it is exceedingly detailed in that text as well as elsewhere.

Couple of faulty premises here. Why isn't it helpful to remind him that it's explained in the book? Pointing him to the book might even be so helpful that it avoids the next question he hasn't raised yet. And if he's training solo, why would reading it on the internet be any more helpful than reading to from the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameronkpritchett View Post
    Is there a cue or a specific place you can give for me to touch or reach just to get a feel for where it is?
    Squeeze your upper back together, and feel underneath the top part of your traps. Also, Google is still a useful thing.

Sorry this is a stupid question.
    Not the worst we've seen, but yes, it is in the book.

The easiest part of the scapula to palpate is the acromion process, which is in the above picture if you follow the spine of the scapula up and to the right. You find that point on yourself and can trace the spine of the scapula all the way across. Bar goes below that.

starting strength coach development program

I assume if someone asks a question that was answered in the book, that they haven't bought and read the book. Which means Uncle Rip doesn't get money for his work, and he may one day have to shutter the doors of this fine forum and switch to cheaper bourbon.

Please, think of Rip.