starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sets get easier?

Default Sets get easier?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am doing SS, though probably at the end of my LP. I notice that my first squat set for my working weight is very difficult, and the other two are easier. Is this lack of warmup or just a mental thing? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by CFPeterson View Post
    I am doing SS, though probably at the end of my LP. I notice that my first squat set for my working weight is very difficult, and the other two are easier. Is this lack of warmup or just a mental thing? Any suggestions?
    This is my experience on pretty much all sets except for singles. You'll just get used to it.

If I do sets across the second set is always the best. YMMV

It's the same for everyone, once the weight gets significant. The first set is always the hardest and has the most form issues. So much so that many people training on their own will bail during or after that first set, and do a deload next time, really spinning their wheels. After that first set you kind of settle into moving that weight.

Quote Originally Posted by CFPeterson View Post
    Same for me. I think that first set kinda sets the stage. The body is like, "Holy fuckballs, why are we doing this!?!?! Get that horrible weight off us!!"
    The mind tells the body to shut the fuck up and it meekly falls into line. At least, that's how it is supposed to work.

Science!

I asked Grant this same question and got more or less the same answer Jordan gave you + warm up one more set if it makes me happy. I think it's kind of nice and in a way motivational. I know that the first thing I do is going to be the hardest so I want to get it done. Maybe the above posters are correct and the first work set is a wake up call to the body that work is going to be performed, but really I have no idea.

Disclaimer:
    <- Is new and doesn't know wtf he's typing about.

I read Nate's response twice and I am still not sure what he is saying.

What are the opinions on doing a single at a heavier weight than your work sets (I think they call it an "overwarmup") for helping make the first set seem less awful?

I started doing a heavier single closer to the weight of the work sets, in addition to the usual 5-3-2 warm-up sets, once my squat work sets got into the low 300's, and that has helped prevent the first set inconsistency. I still follow that principle on heavy sets of most of my lifts and it seems to help. Sometimes it's the usual 5-3-2 followed by the heavy single, sometimes I break things up a little differently, but generally the same principle.

i.e. yesterday's Intensity Day squats called for 480 for three doubles. I warmed up thusly: 45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 375x1, 435x1.
    For Monday's 415x5x5 Volume, I'll do: 45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 295x2, 365 or 375x1.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I read Nate's response twice and I am still not sure what he is saying.
    And who is Grant?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    What are the opinions on doing a single at a heavier weight than your work sets (I think they call it an "overwarmup") for helping make the first set seem less awful?
    I haven't tried this, but it strikes me as too much. Though everyone responds a bit differently and it may work for some, it generally runs the risk of violating the main principle of warm-up sets: they should prepare you for the work-sets but not make you fatigued, at all, prior to them.

starting strength coach development program
    Which part? I'm really confused as to what is confusing so sorry if this seems ridiculous:

"I asked Grant [Mccaulley] this same question (the same question asked by the op: do sets just get easier, is it mental or it it just a lack of sufficient warmup?) and got more or less the same answer [from Grant that] Jordan [Feigenbaum] gave you(the op, that this is just the way it is) +(but Grant also said to) warm up one more set if it makes me happy. I think it's (that my first set of squats is the most difficult) kind of nice and in a way motivational. I know that the first thing I do (the first work set of squats, besides warming up of course) is going to be the hardest so I want to get it done (this is subjective). Maybe the above posters (Jamie and Kyle) are correct and the first work set is a wake up call to the body that work is going to be performed (see their posts, unless I've misunderstood, and see below), but really I have no idea (as to the physiological reasons that the first set seems harder)."

My perception is that the second set is easier than the first when doing multiple rep sets across. Other people have indicated a similar perception and I am at least mildly curious as to why. On this last point I am speculating that perhaps "something" happens in the body during the first reps of the first work set that explain this perception, but I'm not about to make any wildly speculative explanations as to the neuromusclar or other physiological factors that may be at work when I haven't the slightest idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast