starting strength gym

Thread: Press and Squat Form Cheque Please :)

Default Press and Squat Form Cheque Please :)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025

I wish I could Press that much with that over arched back and bent wrists. Ouch.
    Move under the bar, not away from it when it gets heavy.
    Also, we can't see your knees on the Press

Your Squat grip is too wide. Use thumbs over the bar - grip and don't bend your wrists.
    Ditch the mirror and don't look up. Stay tight.
    And stop doing good mornings while you squat.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbellSissy View Post
    I wish I could Press that much with that over arched back and bent wrists. Ouch.
    Move under the bar, not away from it when it gets heavy.
    Also, we can't see your knees on the Press

Your Squat grip is too wide. Use thumbs over the bar - grip and don't bend your wrists.
    Ditch the mirror and don't look up. Stay tight.
    And stop doing good mornings while you squat.
    No you can't see my knees in the video. Why would you want to?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie100 View Post
    No you can't see my knees in the video. Why would you want to?
    To see whether you are doing Push Press instead of Press. Some of the reps seem like you might be. Duh.

To see whether you are doing Push Press instead of Press. Some of the reps seem like you might be. Duh.
    Its just as well I made sure the ends of the barbell were in shot too. Otherwise you might have wanted to see if there was a pulley being operated from there to the ceiling.

Its just as well I made sure the ends of the barbell were in shot too. Otherwise you might have wanted to see if there was a pulley being operated from there to the ceiling.
    If you don't want feedback, don't ask for it.

No they don't, look at the level of his hips. You can see when his knees bend at 26seconds when he catch's the bar and his hips drop.

We can't really give you much feedback on your press because we can't see anything. Move the camera back and give us something to watch. From the little bit we can see it appears that you're pretty strong, but you may want to check SS:BBT 3rd Edition for some tips on your grip.

As for the squat, again you are strong, but you could lift more with less effort if you worked on tour technique. You're holding the bar way too low on your back and it's moving up and down throughout your rep. You're dive bombing into the rep and loosening up badly at the bottom. Keep your back and hamstrings tight, and push your knees out. You're getting bent over by the bar. When that happens you're having to work to keep the bar from falling forward onto your neck. Look at how much your shoulders blades and elbows move when you start the accent. You're fighting to keep the bar in place.

Thanks KAG for pointing out a few things with my squat, it needs a fair bit of work I know.

And I would have thought it was quite obvious I wasn't using leg drive on the presses, but there you go..

For the record I am not using a thumbless grip on the squat and I am gripping the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    And I would have thought it was quite obvious I wasn't using leg drive on the presses, but there you go..
    It's obvious only if it's obvious by looking at the video / you lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie100
    For the record I am not using a thumbless grip on the squat and I am gripping the bar.
    That's fine if you plan to do HB Squats, but doing that with LB squats will eventually fuck up your wrists and/or arms.