starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'd appreciate some help with my form. Sorry about the dark clothing (I tried editing the video to brighten it up). I'll wear brighter clothes next time. These were done with 250 lbs.

Set 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OdYibXWKRs&feature=plcp
    Set 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89RkoIbne38&feature=plcp
    Set 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBr7EruZI3M&feature=plcp

I only completed 4 reps on sets 2 and 3. It's the first time I've stalled since switching from Stronglifts 5x5 at 225 lbs (I just recently learned about Starting Strength, got the book, and I've read most of it).

Thanks everyone.

Video's not too good, and all from one angle. These squats look like they're on track, but there are some issues.

You start out with a more-or-less correct gaze direction, but it appears that you then raise your chin as you go into the hole. Eyeballs.

You're sometimes pulling your knees back to help drive yourself out of the hole. Not terrible, but there; particularly visible on rep 2 Set 1. You've got hip drive here, I can see it. That's what takes you out of the hole. Plant your knees on the way down and keep them there until you're well on the way up. Hip drive.

That sudden extension (almost hyperextension) of the knees to "lock out" at the top? That's gonna catch up with you one day. You don't have to whip those knees back like that; just stand up. Be gentle with that cartilage; its' all you get and it has to last you.

I'm going to look for my camera so I don't have to use my cell phone next time and I'll try different angles.

I actually put a brightly colored sticky note on the floor so I could focus on it. It helped during my warm up sets, but I completely forgot about it during my work sets because the weight felt heavy. I'll make sure to focus more on this next time.

I had no idea about my knees pulling back and the sudden extension. Thank you!

Is the hip drive good for most of the reps? It's one of those things that I try to do, but I'm not always sure if I did it sufficiently or I could have improved on it. Also is my back angle fine most of the time? To me, on the first set and first rep, my back angle is okay, while for the other reps my back angle becomes too horizontal as I try to get out of the hole. I read recently on a powerlifting site (being a powerlifter is not my intention; I just stumbled on it), that trying to arch the upper back by squeezing the shoulder blades together as hard as possible helps correct this problem. I was going to try that.