starting strength gym

Thread: Question about the hip drive

Default Question about the hip drive

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi. I am new to Starting Strength and lifting in general. I'm getting the book for Christmas but in the meantime I have been relying on Mark's videos for advice with my form. Now I saw a video where he is instructing a guy on how to drive up with his hips as if the bar was resting on his lower back. He says that the angle of your back might change a little but that's okay. Well I tried it out and as I was driving up with my hips my upper body tilted forward slightly and I felt like my lower back was doing a lot of work. I am not used to low bar squats I have just recently transitioned from doing high bar squats and I never felt much lower back involvement when doing high bar. So my question is, am I supposed to feel it in my lower back? Or am I doing something wrong that will fuck up my spine. As I'm typing this I realize I should have probably taken a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Chino Macrayne View Post
    I should have probably taken a video.
    Record a video, read the book, and read all of the articles available on here.

The short answer is yes, your lower back will feel it. So will your upper back, your abdominals, your ass, your legs, etc. A fairly general answer for a fairly general question..