starting strength gym

Thread: Rest time between sets and total time of workout

Default Rest time between sets and total time of workout

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi coaches,

"A Clarification" says that the lifter should take as much rest between sets as is required. My resting time between squat sets have become 10-12 minutes. If I rest less than that, I immediately feel the struggle during the set. During power cleans, 5 minutes are not proving sufficient anymore. If I take atleast 7 minutes rest , I am able to complete all my PC sets successfully. But the whole workout goes upto 2 hrs 15 mins. So is it normal? Or should I force myself to rest lesser between sets? I actually have no temporal restriction, so I don't mind my workouts being this long.

Some history:
    I am a novice and have been doing SS for the past 4 months (although perhaps I have been NDTP due to sleeping issues, which have gotten better recently, and a 2 week vacation). My squats have gone up from 75lbs to 240 lbs. My PC is currently at 130lbs for 3 reps for 5 sets. I gained 40lbs in the first 3 months and in the fourth month have maintained my bodyweight (currently at 210lbs at my height of 6 feet and at the age of 28). If you want to know my diet I can post that as well.

Thanks for the help!

Those rest times are not abnormal for someone who has no time restrictions and is squeezing out the last bits of their LP. However, 240 is quite light for you to be at that point and needing 10-12 mins rest. Have you read The First Three Questions article? I'd also like to see a set to see what your squat looks like.

Hi thanks for replying! Yes I have read the First Three Questions. My apologies, I actually meant this article in place of A Clarification in my original post. It is this article that made me take 10-12 mins rest after I read that one must "rest enough between work sets to get all the work done." I am also increasing my weights by 5 lbs on squats and am eating around 4000 calories per day, to answer the other two questions.

Here's my squat video :
    240 squat form check - YouTube

Coach Nathan has adviced me on the technique forum to stop breaking at the knees first and start breaking at the hips and knees simultaneously which is what I am working on getting right currently.

Also I can't remember a time when I woke up fresh. Sleep has been a major obstacle in my progress. I have begun taking melatonin and am working on improving my sleep hygiene. Also going to get a sleep study done soon.

Thanks for all the help on this forum! Greatly appreciate it!

Bumping this for Comrade Wolf since it is about to slip to the third page.