starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New on the forum

Unhappy New on the forum

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi fellow lifters!

First of all, excuse errors in spelling and grammar, I'm swedish.
    I've been finding myself in these forums when googling for training advice and now I finally registrered.
    I just turned 50 and I've been exercising all my life with you name it. In September -14 I hurt my back while trying to squat 100 kg with a self taught hi-bar squat. Walked bent forward for a week thinking that free weights were over for me. Simply too old.
    But somehow I stumbled across SS on some site and now I just wish I had found when I was 25. All those waisted hours in the gym!
    At my age I can follow instructions and I started conservatively and worked my way up. My numbers aren't impressive but it's the strongest I have ever been. And I'm not done!
    But more importantly, I feel great! My back is never a problem, my bum shoulder is good to go. Mood, sleep, general health, It's ridiculous!
    I realize I'm preaching to the quire here but who else would understand? No one around me does. Well, my sons have started lifting on my recommendation but it seems young folk have trouble following a program.

Anyhow, my three day a week progression stopped in february (slightly overtrained) and since then I tried a tweaked TM with one VD and one ID with three to four days apart. No LD.
    It works but it's getting really, really hard to progress on ID. I could stop here and just maintain, but now I got the bug so I would be really interested in what you guys did when approaching your limits.

In any case, great to finally be here!

My numbers:
    Height: 189cm
    Weight: 96 kg (went from 91 to 101 in three months, now stabilized)

SQ: 70-140 kg
    BP: 60-90 kg
    SP: 30-60 kg
    DL: 90-160 kg

Welcome! Numbers are looking good!

I disagree with you about young people not being able to follow a program though, that hurts young people's feelings... I guess it always depends on goals and personality and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Northswede View Post
    I just turned 50 . . . Simply too old.
    Not even warmed up yet kiddo.

Welcome here. Start a log. Ask lots of questions. There are a lot of folks here who can and will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Toot View Post
    Welcome! Numbers are looking good!

I disagree with you about young people not being able to follow a program though, that hurts young people's feelings... I guess it always depends on goals and personality and such.
    Sorry, of course young people can follow a program. I should have written "my 'I know better than you dad' sons don't seem to be able to follow a program.
    Last edited by Northswede; 05-29-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Not even warmed up yet kiddo.

Welcome here. Start a log. Ask lots of questions. There are a lot of folks here who can and will help.
    Thanks! After spending hours reading these forums, it feels somehow like a big deal just to be adressed.

Wellcome, brother from the north, Im a middleswede. You have great Numbers compered to me, but Im 63yo
    Have the same problem here, my son picked up the barbell, but nobody else, Im probably preaching the wrong way.

Heh.

It appears Mark Twain's famous quote was not limited to rural Missouri.

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

Yeah, preaching never is the way. But I cant't help myself when I know how much SS would help. Me and my wife now have a pact of silence, I don't talk about SS and she doesn't complain about the aches and pains she has...

Youth is wasted on the young

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Northswede View Post
    Yeah, preaching never is the way. But I cant't help myself when I know how much SS would help. Me and my wife now have a pact of silence, I don't talk about SS and she doesn't complain about the aches and pains she has...
    That seems to be the way of things.

Though Oldman and Squat Queen are doing their best to show couples that it can be done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast