starting strength gym

Thread: Bulging disks low back

Default Bulging disks low back

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi guys, just posting on behalf of a close friend, he has bulging disks in his low back and was wondering if low bar squats and deadlifts have been used to successfully rehab a person from this? What are peoples experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, they have. Please do some Google searches limited to this site and see what you turn up. Post back with specific questions, but not until you've spent at least two hours reading and doing searches.

Well, i have. I dont have specific question at this stage, as I stated, its on behalf of a friend, and isnt confident that proper squatting and deadlifting would help to restore and strengthen his back. I have read Mac Wards article, which was great, but I also asked for peoples experiences, if they are kind enough to share them, thanks for your reply.

I am not sure what more you would need if you genuinely spent two hours searching and reading in addition to reading Mac's article.

Quote Originally Posted by CamBarratt View Post
    Well, i have. I dont have specific question at this stage, as I stated, its on behalf of a friend, and isnt confident that proper squatting and deadlifting would help to restore and strengthen his back. I have read Mac Wards article, which was great, but I also asked for peoples experiences, if they are kind enough to share them, thanks for your reply.
    Hi Cam,

Not that I have anything specific to say beyond what Tom has already stated in addition to Mac's article, but I will just add that I use squats and deadlifts all the time with people with a number of different spinal pathologies. Not everyone responds the same way, and I often have to start patients with some type of modification of the original movement, but as long as their form is correct, and they start at a low level that doesn't provoke symptoms, they should be fine. See the link below from one of Inna K's clients. She was diagnosed with four herniated discs. I worked with her and Inna during her recovery and she has been symptom free for about six months:

Back Rehab at Studio Inna

I hope that helps.

Thanks John, i appreciate your reply. My friend has 5 bulging disks at the moment, so your reply suits really well. Ive spent some fair time this week trying to find some good information on this as suggested by Tom, and uncovered some good things. I was thinking about buying Stuart McGill's books, Low Back Disorders and Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance, a number people cited and suggested these.

I should have also added that my friend would likely be interested in working with someone who has experience with this (online consulting, perhaps) as he lives in Australia. Where would be best place to contact you?

Thanks.

Thanks John, i appreciate your reply. My friend has 5 bulging disks at the moment, so your reply suits really well. Ive spent some fair time this week trying to find some good information on this as suggested by Tom, and uncovered some good things. I was thinking about buying Stuart McGill's books, Low Back Disorders and Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance, a number people cited and suggested these.
    No problem, Cam. The McGill books are both excellent resources for anyone who wants to learn more about spinal pathology.

I should have also added that my friend would likely be interested in working with someone who has experience with this (online consulting, perhaps) as he lives in Australia. Where would be best place to contact you?
    Just PM me through here and I will pass along my information. Thanks for the referral.

starting strength coach development program
    Cam, you ask for some to share their experiences regarding squats and deadlifts while having bulging disks. Here is mine.

I have only one bulging lumbar disk (L5/L4)but can top it with a herniated disk (S1/L5). My vertebral column is from top to bottom degenerated. I also have a very long history of SI problems due to an accident in my early teenage years.

The head orthopedic doc at the rehab clinic told me that there is nothing that can be done but strengthening the musculo-sceletal system. Off I went doing PT exercises as taught. They did help, but defintely not enough. Today I know what was lacking: no or very limited progression in resistance. I have been squatting and deadlifting for almost 2 years now. At the moment I am squatting 400+ lbs and deadlifting 450+ lbs for reps.

For me, there have been no adverse effects by lifting heavy. On the contrary! I feel rejuvenated. I must add, that I continue PT exercises. But they are not the ones I have been taught by the PTs. I found the ones that help on my own; those where I can progress resistance. I have also changed my living habits. Mainly I decreased the amount of sitting, walk briskly regularly, and ride bike.

I am in no way concerned that heavy lifting (I am a form-nazi) will do any damage to my disks. Especially since the herniation of the disk occured while sitting. Yep, during extended sitting (job required 12 hours of sitting a day with few breaks) that sucker popped like a ripe zit.